What do u spend on garden plants and seeds?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just curious as I see places advertising $5-$8 packets of seeds. For the sake of discussion, separate annuals vs perennials. Perennials hopefully are a long term investment.

I use to buy (not that long ago) 2 flats (48 plants each) for $12-$14-no longer. Now I buy one flat, then supplement with my own starts or end of year clearance of annuals. I spend about $10 on seeds. This year, already burned by the seeds. Will be interesting to see what flats cost this year.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In the past when my garden was much smaller 10x20 I would spend about $20 on seeds for it and the flower beds. Then I would spend a dollar or 2 each on some bare root perennials like daylilies, lilies and dahlias. Last year we expanded our garden to 10,000 square feet and spent about 50-60. This year was pricey though. Most of the seeds that I only buy every 2-3 years I ran out of or was over 3 years old so I’m having to replace all of those on top of everything else. So this year should run about 70-80. Next year will be much cheaper though since I’ll be saving seed from this years crop. I don’t expect to spend over $30 next year. $70-80 may seem like a lot but it’s not compared considering my only other costs are fertilizer and equipment repairs. With the amount of vegetables and fruits I’m getting out of a garden that size.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i spend more on postage than i spend on seeds for my projects (i prefer to trade with other people for heirlooms or things that are interesting). we don't grow a lot of things i need to get fresh seeds each season (like greens or special corn varieties).

for the garden veggies i don't keep track of that because of how we do it (barter among a network of people), but i think it actually costs us more than if we'd just buy the plants from the greenhouse directly. it is ok though. :)

perhaps a few hundred a year when all totalled up and accounting for bartering costs and postage.

one big reason why i vastly prefer the seed swaps is that i can reach hundreds of people for $5-10 in gas money. i'm not doing this as a business so if i cover my expenses i'm quite content. the local seed library is something i need to check out when the library reopens. i may check out attending the farmer's market this season at least once and perhaps i can distribute a lot of the bean seeds i already have packaged up from before. we'll see what happens. :)

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I won't admit what I've spent on seeds this year, but I am replacing all my old stock of seeds, and in light of there being a bit of a 'run' on seeds, I've made sure I have more than I need, which I will then trade off or give to neighbors and to the MG's for their projects. I have been lazy in past years about collecting seeds from what I've grown, but plan on changing that. Now that the greenhouse (6x8) is up, I hope to spend more time growing and propagating as soon as the daytime temps stay warm enough to heat the gravel base to keep the greenhouse relatively warm at night.

I've never really had a 'budget' for my plants, I've always hit the clearance rack first, and only occasionally had to create a place to plant something I've bought. It's my indulgence. My jeans may be old and in tatters, but if it blooms....

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I first began collecting, I was easily spending $100 - $150 a year just for seeds. Because most of what I grow now is from saved seed, that has gone way down; maybe $40 - $50 for new trials, or for seed I can't grow myself (such as chard, sweet corn, and Moringa). When I do buy seed, I generally buy in quantities large enough to last over several years, which brings the cost per year down. DW probably spends another $50 - $60 on annual flowers, and the occasional added perennial. I hope to begin starting some of her flower transplants, which would help to further lower the annual seed/plant expenditures.

I should add that for starting all of my own vegetable transplants (and some for my children and neighbors) I go through 2 large bags of soil less mix every year, for about $40.

Fruit & vegetable perennials are not annual expenditures, but can be costly. Replacing my lost garlic cost $5.00 per variety for two bulbs. So far I've only replaced 8 of the 36 varieties I lost, and will probably add another 4-5 varieties next year... and give up on the rest. We are also planting fruit trees; one apple, one pear, and one crab apple last year (for about $150 total) and plan to put in two more fruit trees this year.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I keep putting my head in the sand and don't count!!! :hu :hit
THIS year I plunked down just under $300.00 on seeds and 2 grapes and 1 1/2 pounds of garlic And 20 asparagus plants (for DD, the Chef.) I bought from High mowing, Jung's and Stark Bros. First time with High Mowing. The Johnagold apple trees I bought from Stark Bros 2 years ago look great, (Except I need to run rope through a piece of old hose and try to gently straighten the stems!)
I have, in the past, Impulse bought plants. I am convinced that I bought some diseases in from box store plants, so I'm pretty much done with that.
I am buying a bag of potting soil this week bc I Need to transplant my garlic. Mid American Gardener answered a question about baking soil.
They said, "Do it ONLY if you hate your family!"
I have an 18 inch wide, 12 inch high fire grate (from CW reenacting, and I may try my luck cooking some in my firepit, but that will be for later.)
I have PLENTY of soil less starter mix.
Every place that I organized will save me time. My mother gave me 2 plastic barrels previously used for water conditioner salt, and I keep my bags of soil and starter mix in those, in the basement, and they sit and wait for use. THAT way, I can buy multiple bags, especially when they are clearanced.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I keep putting my head in the sand and don't count!!! :hu :hit
THIS year I plunked down just under $300.00 on seeds and 2 grapes and 1 1/2 pounds of garlic And 20 asparagus plants (for DD, the Chef.) I bought from High mowing, Jung's and Stark Bros. First time with High Mowing. The Johnagold apple trees I bought from Stark Bros 2 years ago look great, (Except I need to run rope through a piece of old hose and try to gently straighten the stems!)
I have, in the past, Impulse bought plants. I am convinced that I bought some diseases in from box store plants, so I'm pretty much done with that.
I am buying a bag of potting soil this week bc I Need to transplant my garlic. Mid American Gardener answered a question about baking soil.
They said, "Do it ONLY if you hate your family!"
I have an 18 inch wide, 12 inch high fire grate (from CW reenacting, and I may try my luck cooking some in my firepit, but that will be for later.)
I have PLENTY of soil less starter mix.
Every place that I organized will save me time. My mother gave me 2 plastic barrels previously used for water conditioner salt, and I keep my bags of soil and starter mix in those, in the basement, and they sit and wait for use. THAT way, I can buy multiple bags, especially when they are clearanced.
I’m glad to hear your Apple trees came in good condition! I’m planning on ordering some Jonagolds from them next year!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Funny, several years ago I BOUGHT a Johnathan apple. I put it in and it did...okay...then I plunked down a 12' x 12' dog enclosure next to it. I paid my "guys", the ones that put up hay for me every year, to clean around this enclosure, and they dug it up and killed it. Not Really a loss. It wasn't particularly healthy, and made measly little fruit.
Johnagold's were developed right here, in central IL at the University of IL College of A.C.E.S., so I was pretty sure that they would do well in my yard.

Latest posts