What do you buy starts of?

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I start all my own vegetables. I try to do my own flowers, too, but sometimes I just pick a few up at a greenhouse instead.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peppers, tomatoes, egg plants, onions from local family run green house.

From seed, honeydew, watermelon, corn, okra, carrots, cabbage, peas, green beans, cucumbers, basil & cilantro.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Usually my only purchase is onion seedlings, from a local nursery. The cost is not much more than a packet of seed and they always have varieties that do well here. I have started my own from seed but they just don't do as well.
A few petunias climb into my basket when I have not started some from seed.

I start or direct sow tomatoes, peppers, pumpkin, cucs, green beans, beets, carrots, lettuce, brussel sprouts, basil, snow peas (if I can get them in early)... and lots of flowers!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I buy sweet potatoes, onion sets, potatoes, and celery plants if I can find them. Everything else I start.
And Jared, you can save seed for quite a few years. If you buy the seed you can put out your starts and then put seed out at the same time. You will have 2 crops ready at different times.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Almost everything I grow, I start with starts. I really don't have to buy that many and it just seems easier. I'm not into any fancy exotic stuff. This year I will attempt to grow grean beans, zuchinin, and my lettuce from seeds.

Mary

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nothing I have stopped buying slips!! I have started my plants already and i plan to plant them as soon as I can!! all the annuals have a neat little spot on the book shelf in front of my windows I hope to have all the plants ready to put in the ground (except potatoes) as soon as the last frost has past.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the past I have been buying pepper plants, but I am going to attempt to start my own this year.
I sometimes buy herb starts, and wave petunias. Some other bedding flowers I buy plants of, also. Don't have room to grow everything from seed.
I do grow tomatoes, cabbage, cukes, broccoli, beans, melons from seed.
Usually, I let myself splurge a little at the garden center on a few non-essentials, just for the heck of it. Retail therapy.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the past I have been buying pepper plants, but I am going to attempt to start my own this year.
I sometimes buy herb starts, and wave petunias. Some other bedding flowers I buy plants of, also. Don't have room to grow everything from seed.
I do grow tomatoes, cabbage, cukes, broccoli, beans, melons from seed.
Usually, I let myself splurge a little at the garden center on a few non-essentials, just for the heck of it. Retail therapy.
I started my peppers 2 weeks ago. You need a good sized plant in order to get a good crop. The small sets that are sold would never be large enough to get a decent crop in my zone. 6.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nothing, I start all my own.
The risk of introducing pests and diseases is too big.

Last edited:

Latest posts