What do you buy starts of?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac, I just planted some pepper seeds today, to celebrate Ground Hog Day, I guess. Makes sense about big plants needed to get more larger peppers. I also planted some flat parsley. I'm pretty sure the sub-zero weather got the tiny started plants that I spotted outside in the flower beds earlier in the winter.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ozark Natural Foods on College at the Evelyn Hills shopping center. A guy from "Bean Mountain Farms" has a plant sale there a couple of times in the spring. I just looked at Ozark Natural Foods events calendar online. There are three scheduled this year, March 15 (9 to 4), April 12 (8 to 4), and May 10 (8 to 4).

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I buy my marconi pepper plants from a local greenhouse...mostly because I am too cheap to invest in a heating pad for them! I start everything else, but I can't be trusted at any location that sells growing things. So you never know, what I might bring home. I see Loews has organic Seeds of Change seed packets again, this year. I had my hands on some last night- but I didn't end up buying any. Hard to get motivated with a foot of snow on the ground!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hear you on hard to be motivated with snow.

I like starting plants but I kill them in the hardning off.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It'll only be bramble Rubus type berries, unless I see something I just can't live without...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, whenever anyone asks me about starting plants- I always say, getting them growing is easy...hardening them off difficult. It really is the challenging part.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have to baby plant starts.

That first day outdoors, carry them around the yard, talk to them: "And, this is where you will be when after you grow up a little more. Isn't this a Big Tree? Here we are at the back door again."

When you actually set them down, don't go any further than where you can see them. You know, in case they get scared . . .

I'm telling you! Give them 45 minutes, then an hour and a half, 3 hours -- all, in your "Sweet Spot," in the backyard. I hardly remember how I got away with hardening things off when I was working . . .

Steve

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not very good with starting any seeds that can't be easily direct sown, so I always buy tomato plants because we have to put them out so late due to frost that we wouldn't get tomatoes until August otherwise.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not very good with starting any seeds that can't be easily direct sown, so I always buy tomato plants because we have to put them out so late due to frost that we wouldn't get tomatoes until August otherwise.

You mean some people get tomatoes before August???

Hi Skeeter!:frow

Latest posts