What do You Freeze?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha!

I see now that I copied the frozen sauerkraut recipe in both a July and an August post. That folks, just amounts to a commitment to making it ;).

And, I did make it, several times. I'm happy with it! I made the claim yesterday to DS that it may as well be called "sauerkraut," a very good sauerkraut.

PXL_20210310_205639546.jpg

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blackberries, raspberries, elderberries, strawberries, green beans, kale, collards, Swiss chard, bok choy, squash shredded for bread, squash in small chunks for soup, and even slices to fry later. It does not work as good as fresh. I have made freezer pickles. I freeze tomatoes and have made pasta sauce, peppers, asparagus if I get a lot. I have shredded onions and froze and also potatoes for hashbrowns. I have some blanched cabbage frozen and I put in soup.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha!

I see now that I copied the frozen sauerkraut recipe in both a July and an August post. That folks, just amounts to a commitment to making it ;).

And, I did make it, several times. I'm happy with it! I made the claim yesterday to DS that it may as well be called "sauerkraut," a very good sauerkraut.

View attachment 39648
Steve

is that your picture? :)

from your recipe i would call that sweet and sour pickled freezer cabbage.

saurkraut, nope, not sugary or vinegary IMO. still probably delicious though by the looks of things.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's my picture.

The concoction is more crisp than sauerkraut. Nice and crunchy :). It couldn't be much more sour. There might be a sauerkraut recipe that includes peppers, onions and carrots. Adds a lot to it ...

A problem is that it is a time-consuming way to use up cabbage. Way too much cabbage came out of the garden last year. This is not such a good preservation approach but it's tasty ;).

Steve

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hawaii Island aka the 'Big Island' Zone 11b
We freeze bananas - when a stalk of bananas goes off, there's too many to eat at once so we stuff the freezer full. Peel them, lay them out on a tray, once they're frozen then stuff them in a bag. Or just stuff them in a bag and break off chunks when they're wanted.

Take the morning's leftover coffee (if any) and chill in the fridge. When it's cold, put it in the blender, add chunks of frozen bananas, a few ice cubes, a slug of milk, a dash of cocoa powder, cinnamon if desired and blend. Totally tasty and refreshing on a hot summer's day. Plus it gets rid of excess bananas.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
FYI, MY vinegar based slaw recipe:
1 whole cabbage head
1 large onion
3-4 Large carrots, peeled (unless super fresh from your garden bed, then scrub, instead)
1 cup vegetable or olive oil
1 cup cidar vinegar
1 cup sugar
3-4 tablespoons of dill seed

Shred cabbage, onion and carrots. DD got me this last Christmas--
Mix vegetables thoroughly. Make and add the dressing.
Dressing:
Mix the vegetable oil with the cidar vinegar and sugar, over the stove. Add 3-4 tablespoons of dill seed. Bring to a rapid boil. Pour immediately over vegetables and mix well.
Let cool and store in the refridgerator. As you eat this up and YOU WILL, add the old slaw and leftover dressing to the new batch. Still tastes great.
I like it hot. DH likes it cold. We still both pig on it. When DD's are over, easily 1/2 is eaten up right away.

Latest posts