What do Young People Not Understand

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to take a Geological Survey map and ..

. just head off cross-country. Oh, those were the days! I'd see places on public land that few others would ever see. I could believe that to be true even if there were tree stumps around but ya know how those things can last decades ;).

A compass was very important but I was no Teddy Roosevelt. His family said that he would lead in a straight line over cliffs and such :).

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
You would think that it would be very difficult to "lead in a straight line over cliffs"...
I mean.. leading over a cliff once would surely be enough. ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. I'm not kidding, @canesisters .

The story was that he would take his family members from Oyster Bay over Sagamore Hill to the ocean on the other side. Brush, rambles, cliff - straight line.

I enjoyed "bouldering," for a few years. It's really tough going down without a rope and I just wasn't up to it where I liked to climb. Remembering holds when you have moved past them and can no longer see where they are is one thing. Feeling the way with the feet entirely is something else. No thanks.

Of course, there are more or less difficult climbs and descents.

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm probably the generation you guys are talking about, but I somehow collect kids at my house and the biggest things I've noticed with them are:

1. They are depressed because they don't go outside enough
Most of the kids that I meet put on a happy face for their parents, but are actually about ready to shoot themselves. Sunlight and exposure to dirt does so much more for us than just vitamin D and fun. I think it's the reason why so many people are so miserable.

2. They lack a sense of culture
My husband suffers from this badly. He drifts from one culture to another, trying to find one that he identifies with, because he never grew up with any sense of culture at all.

3. They lack the ability to form connections
I don't mean with family here, but with anything beyond brands. I think that's why Marie Kondo (I think that's her name)'s "Tidying Up" series is so popular. It has you form a connection with the things that you have, and get rid of the things that don't.

Just my thoughts from the hoard of 18 and unders that constantly filter through my house.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a map we had to follow on the BWCA (Beautiful place, NOTHING marked. No signs to label lakes or portages. Just follow the compass and map! I would do it again if my feet/legs would allow.
F-31.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a map we had to follow on the BWCA (Beautiful place, NOTHING marked. No signs to label lakes or portages. Just follow the compass and map! I would do it again if my feet/legs would allow. View attachment 30350

Wow, that's a lot of lakes!

The names of Lakes One, Two, and Three are inspired!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
working for every dime that they get.
how to save every dime you make.

My kids didn't learn that...even though I tried to teach them and didn't grant their every wish.

i worked from a pretty young age doing odd jobs and lawn work up until i could work for the family business in the summers. didn't stop working/saving until 20yrs later but by then i could retire or work part-time if i wanted. that was about 23yrs ago. live a simple life and you can get by.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
MAPS!
Everyday I have 'professional' 20-30yr old truck drivers come into the landfill for the first time. I give them this 'map'
View attachment 30299
In a good month, 1 in 5 will ACTUALLY follow the road, climb the hill & find the working area.
Many pull away from the scale and within 50yards will make a sharp right into the shop parking lot.
At least one will make a hard left and end up stuck in the swamp. And at least one will drive PAST the giant hill, circle all around and end up back at the scale.
I remember having a maps class when I was in elementary school. We learned about how to follow directions, to turn the map to match the landmarks in front of us, etc. Then the teacher took us all into the playground where she had hidden a bunch of little things and divided us up into teams. We had to follow our team's map to find the item.
These days, if the GPS voice isn't calling out turn by turn, people have NO idea how to get to anywhere unfamiliar.

you need to put big red circles wth lines through them over the places you don't want them to go and a target bullseye on the spot where they should. if you put a Budweiser or Miller label on that spot it would probably help too... (or nowadays one of those fruity beers)...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

Latest posts