What Does candle in window mean

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Religous tradition or miltary tradition ? As a kid my family would put a lighted candle in the window Christmas eve, was a sign the Christ child was welcome. After seeing candles in windows at other times of the year I researched and found it was to welcome men from war. Which do you believe ?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've heard it was to welcome the Christ child, but I believe it had its start in offering a welcoming light to greet family members and expected visitors to the home. Here are some cultural reasons I've found.
Friendship
In many cultures a candle in the window symbolizes friendship to travelers.
In Colonial Times
A candle in the window in colonial times was to welcome home a family member who was traveling. Candles were also used during celebrations to show respect for public figures.
In Ireland
During times of persecution Catholics placed a candle in the window of their home to signified that their home was a safe location for priests to visit. Three candles placed together in the window symbolized the Holy Family.
Judaism
During Hanukkah it is a common practice for Jews to place a Menorah in the window of their home. The Menorah a nine-branched candelabrum. It is lit during the eight-days of Hanukkah to symbolize the miracle of the oil that burned in the Temple for eight nights.
Christianity
On Christmas Eve, it is a common practice for Christians to place a large candle in the window of their home. The candle symbolizes the star of Bethlehem which led the three Wise Men to the birth place of Jesus Christ. When the candle is lit it also symbolizes Jesus as the "Light of the World".

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you put a candle in the window make sure that it is CLEAR AND AWAY from any combustible materials or one will have a warm welcome of the unwelcome kind ( house burned to the ground ) . :\

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
thanks! in our neighborhood we have one house that year round has the 1 candle/light in each window. i always wondered about that.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh jeez do I have memories of candles in the windows!

I'm sure it started out as a Christian tradition, that somehow turned into more of a holiday decoration ... ( I rather doubt they expected baby Jesus to arrive a month early :D )... electric candles in every window ... had to be plugged in every night for at least a month or Mom would have a fit. Now the fond part of the memory :rolleyes:... the candle base was too wide for the window sill so they were taped, which rarely sticks well to wood ... so often they were hanging upside down from the sill. You would think it was the end of the world when we would arrive home and Mom would notice a candle missing in a window! My poor dad would fly up the stairs to fix it.

@thistlebloom ... they now make pretty LED candle sticks with a light sensor to go on when it gets dark.
I think @digitS' should let all his neighbors know ... it would add a bit more warm glow to the block. :eek: