What Does candle in window mean

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh jeez do I have memories of candles in the windows!

I'm sure it started out as a Christian tradition, that somehow turned into more of a holiday decoration ... ( I rather doubt they expected baby Jesus to arrive a month early :D )... electric candles in every window ... had to be plugged in every night for at least a month or Mom would have a fit. Now the fond part of the memory :rolleyes:... the candle base was too wide for the window sill so they were taped, which rarely sticks well to wood ... so often they were hanging upside down from the sill. You would think it was the end of the world when we would arrive home and Mom would notice a candle missing in a window! My poor dad would fly up the stairs to fix it.

@thistlebloom ... they now make pretty LED candle sticks with a light sensor to go on when it gets dark.
I think @digitS' should let all his neighbors know ... it would add a bit more warm glow to the block. :eek:

:yuckyuck Haha! I got a total visual of that....giggling my head off...:lol:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just picked up a 6 pack of battery candles at kmart for 19.99 they are even on timers. Stop and shop ( supermarket) had them 4 for $9.99 even better deal.

Last edited:

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
we always kept a candle in the window when i was a kid. mom said it was to welcome the Christ Child. and yes it was one of those funky plastic electric ones. i keep a led flame candle in my window too.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OMG lavender, my grandma used to have to tape the candles to the windowsill!! That old scotch tape, and THEN THEY WOULD FLIP OVER and hang upside down. That is so funny we both have that memory. I remember all the time it would take to go around and individually switch on every candle in every window.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only my upstairs windows have sills. (I do not like the windows they used too replace the old ones in my 110 year old home) :( So a candle stand would need to be fashioned for each window. Do not see that happening. I may find a stool the right height to put in the window nearest the front door.
May peace and joy fill your hearts and homes this holiday season.