What does rhubarb taste like?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is tart and pleasant and I admit I have never harvested mine and used it bc I always forget to do so. Remember that the leaves are poisonous and you should never eat them. ALSO, if you have had a freeze the toxins from the leaves move down into the stems and make them inedible. Most people just cut those out.

i was just told that to wait a few weeks past the last frost before picking any of it. i used to make gallons of rhubarb sauce for a friend and bring it to the neighbor lady we had so much extra. now i don't much use it here, but i like it as a border plant to keep some grasses from having an easy pass on invading the neighboring garden.

i'm not sure, but last summer it was so dry most of the rhubarb was gone this fall. i hope it comes back in the spring... hard to imagine that i've killed it off. i did water it once in a while.

as for flavor, like a good green apple. texture is slimy somewhat and odd to some people when it is cooked. i've heard of people who peel it before using it. i never have.

for growth habit and bugs, there are some bugs which will take chunks (aka sting) out of the stems, i've always cut that out when cooking. i'll often just pull a few stalks anyways and most the time the newer stalks are not as damaged. i remove the flower stalks when they start showing up, we don't need seeds spreading this patch all over the place.

easily transplants/divides in the fall. digging up a large rootball is a bit of work so instead of doing that i just take a shovel and find a big plant that can survive having a chunk taken out of it. i've never had a transplant not survive, but we usually have snow and moisture through the winter and spring so it doesn't dry out before it can start growing again.

full sun, does the best, will tolerate light shade.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rhubarb juice and Gingerale, makes a lovely summer drink,

You weren't around when I was exploring rhubarb barbeque sauce, Annette. It was more recently than this thread but not a lot ;).

Saute some onions. Add rhubarb, a can of Dr. Pepper, a cup of apple cider vinegar, about a cup of brown sugar, maybe some molasses, and a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. Smoked paprika, garlic salt, several grinds of black pepper ... dash of cinnamon, a sprinkle of allspice and cloves.

Cook on top the stove until the rhubarb is soft and bubbling sauce is making the constant stirring a little dangerous ;). Run through blender but be careful if it's very hot! Barbecue Sauce!

Steve :)

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was taught how to grow rhubarb by one of the horticultural judges I studied under, his family once won first prize for theirs at one of the Chicago World Fairs years ago, can't remember the year. Two things stuck in my mind, only pull the outer stalks of each crown and stop pulling any after July. Leave the rest to replenish the crowns. Also to grow good rhubarb it needs a good freeze in the winter or it dwindles away to nothing. Somewhere I have explicit instructions on how to grow the best rhubarb, you know in one of those safe places everyone has but can't remember where:(.
Thanks for the barbecue sauce recipe Steve :). I don't have a big patch, I keep cutting out chucks giving it to friends, don't even know the variety but the stocks are a lovely deep red.

My little patch
DSCN3338.JPG

When we raised rabbits in the fall I'd bend all the stalks and leaves over the crowns and dump a big bucket of rabbit manure over the top, by spring it had all disappeared and healthy strong stalks start to emerge.
Annette

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rhubarb chutney?

Would love to read what he told you on how to grow it successfully. Don’t think it likes wet feet-nasty clay...

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just for you @seedcorn

This recipe I wangled out of the owner of our local Crow and Gate pub, goes lovely with a ploughman's lunch.

CROW AND GATE RHUBARB CHUTNEY

8 Cups of rhubarb or apples, plums or a combination of all
8 Cups chopped onions
4 Cups vinegar
2 TBSP's salt
8 Cups brown sugar
2 TSP's cloves
2 TSP's cinnamon
2 TSP's allspice

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil in a large 1 gallon heavy pot bring down to a simmer and cook slow for 2 hours. Thicken with cornstarch if needed.

Annette

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you eat it as a side or a spread on something?

Thanks. Second question, What is a ploughman’s lunch?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use it on cheese sandwiches, meat pies or with a ploughman's lunch... a hunk of cheddar, a couple of pickles, pickled onions for me, tossed salad and a big chunk of crusty bread or bun (English pub food).

Annette

Latest posts