What does rhubarb taste like?

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have never had rhubarb in my life. My family just never served it and it never occured to me to buy any.I know alot of you are going to think that sounds crazy.
Now, having said that I decided to plant some the other day so we would be able to try something new.
Can anyone tell me what rhubarb tastes like? Does it resemble anything else or just has its own unique flavor?

adeledamate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I grew up eating it but only in strawberry rhubarb pie. When sugar is added it has a sweet/tart flavor. It definitely is distinct but so worth trying. Good luck. My aunt has a plant that has been growing for more than 25 years. I think you have to wait a couple of seasons before you actually harvest it. Not positive on that but think I remember my grandma or aunt telling me that.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rhubarb is sour if you eat it raw. You can make strawberry rhubard pies, jam, cobblers.
You will have to add sugar to it. It just depends on a persons taste.
I like to eat it raw with salt on it as well.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ever ate green apples with salt? That will give you an idea of what it tastes like. I like mine with salt also...brings out the sweetness! Salt makes grapefruit taste sweeter also...try it, then try one with sugar...the salt wins every time!

When sugared down it has a very sweet/tart acidic flavor to me...not fond of cooked rhubarb at all.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I will have to give this a try. Thanks to everyone.
Its funny how people will only serve or eat the same vegetables their whole life and not try anything new.
My parents always served the same basic things growing up and I didn't even try brussel sprouts or asparagus(which I love) until I was an adult and bought them myself.
Rhubarb is another one of them so I will give it a whirl.
I want to expose my children to every fruit and vegetable I possibly can.

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When my parents bought their current house, I was just turning four, and the lawn was so overgrown that the "grass" was higher than my head! But when we finally got it mowed, there was a rhubarb bed in the middle. Yippee! So I grew up eating rhubarb, and now, finally, I have a place for a bed of permanent crops - this fall, I will be digging some of Mom's rhubarb and transplanting it to my own house.

We never mixed the rhubarb with strawberries as most folks do (though that's very tasty, too). Mom made rhubarb pie, cobbler, jam, and a sauce (just cook it down with a little water and sugar to taste) that is heavenly over angel food cake or ice cream (or both!!) I don't care for rhubarb raw.

It is extremely sour, as the others say, and quite acidic. You'll need to experiment to see how you like it best. It tends to be one of those things that you either love or hate.

When you do plant it, you won't harvest the first year; it needs to get firmly established. You can take some stalks the second year, but go easy. It takes about 3 cups to make a pie, and I have a recipie for rhubarb muffins that takes only a cup and a half, so you should be able to make something with your rhubarb. The season here in upstate NY runs from mid to late May through about mid July. When you start to get thin, weedy stalks, you dig it up and cut the root apart and replant the chunks. This will be years down the road, and don't do all your plants at the same time, because the newly separated plants shouldn't be harvested heavily the first year...

Also remember the leaves are poisonous, so don't feed them to livestock or use them in a salad! My mom cuts off the leaves as she harvests the stalks, and puts the leaves right back on the garden as mulch. She rarely has to weed, which is good, as she's almost 80.

My mom's rhubarb patch has been there for a minimum of 50 years, never been fertilized beyond the natural compost of the leaves, most of the plants have never been separated. Mom and Dad always took rhubarb to the Memorial Day Parade festivities, give it away to anyone who wants it, along with a few recipies - two years ago they weighed what they took just on that one day, and it was 53 pounds! Just out of curiosity, they continued to weigh the harvest that year, whatever they used themselves or gave to family or friends, and the total was over 70 pounds. The patch looked like it hadn't been touched!

You can make rhubarb pies and freeze them unbaked. Just add a little more flour than the recipie calls for, as when it's been frozen, it makes a lot more liquid when it cooks, and of course you'll have to adjust the baking time, as you bake them frozen, don't thaw first or you'll have a real soupy mess for a filling. Otherwise, frozen pies taste just as good as fresh.

So you're in for some fun, if you're patient and let it grow strong! And by the way, rhubarb likes full sun. Enjoy!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the information!! I am really interested in having some permanent crops in the garden.
I appreciate the tip on the frozen pies as well.
I do like to make alot of things ahead of time and freeze them. It makes life easier when you hit a busy time.
I can't believe how well your parent's patch grows with so little effort and to be able to harvest so many pounds at a time !!! Thats my kind of crop :)

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The way it is described reminds me of quince (which I LOVE!!!)

Anyone every had quince and rhubarb and can compare it?

Cassandra

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Ever ate green apples with salt? That will give you an idea of what it tastes like. I like mine with salt also...brings out the sweetness! Salt makes grapefruit taste sweeter also...try it, then try one with sugar...the salt wins every time!

When sugared down it has a very sweet/tart acidic flavor to me...not fond of cooked rhubarb at all.
Also, if your pineapple is not sweet enough, put salt on it (not sugar). Set it back in the fridge for an hour and, YUM!

Latest posts