What have you canned or preserved today?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Believe it or not, at my advanced age (63) I canned pickles today for the first time! My mother always did it before and I wasn't that much of a pickle fan, so I never did. Now with her too feeble to do stuff like that, I decided to take up the slack. After all, I do have a BIL who loves them, and my DH likes them occasionally. So I got my mom to "supervise" (which she loved, feeling useful at the age of 87) and we made a small batch today. The cukes look like they will produce for a while, so I am going to experiment with different kinds. Today was bread and butter, Mom's specialty. I will hopefully be canning beans and tomato sauce, and will try to get her to come out and "supervise" those too. If nothing else, she has volunteered to snap beans for me.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's so important that elderly people feel useful and needed. You are doing a great job in that area. It's never to late to learn. I just learned how to ride a bike at age 57! I bought an old cruiser at the flea market on mother's day. Today, my daughter commented that she can't believe I, who was never a runner, went running at 6:00am and then rode my bike a mile to get bread!

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
peteyfoozer said:
Ridgerunner, your broth looks absolutely beautiful!
Thank you. I consider this broth as much from garden as from my chickens. The onions, carrots, and herbs all came from the garden. The bay leaf, peppercorns, and celery were all that was purchased.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I helped DW make 15 pints of Strawberry rhubard jam on the 4th. I am using the term helped very loosely here, but I am sticking to it! lol

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Believe it or not, at my advanced age (63) I canned pickles today for the first time! My mother always did it before and I wasn't that much of a pickle fan, so I never did. Now with her too feeble to do stuff like that, I decided to take up the slack. After all, I do have a BIL who loves them, and my DH likes them occasionally. So I got my mom to "supervise" (which she loved, feeling useful at the age of 87) and we made a small batch today. The cukes look like they will produce for a while, so I am going to experiment with different kinds. Today was bread and butter, Mom's specialty. I will hopefully be canning beans and tomato sauce, and will try to get her to come out and "supervise" those too. If nothing else, she has volunteered to snap beans for me.
This is how I learned to make Mom's fig preserves, cornbread & bread pudding. She tried teaching me her fudge, but I could never get it right!
Jo-Ann

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another batch of blackberry jam! Was going to try and make wine instead, but I just wasn't up to the task! Next year...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
It's so important that elderly people feel useful and needed. You are doing a great job in that area. It's never to late to learn. I just learned how to ride a bike at age 57! I bought an old cruiser at the flea market on mother's day. Today, my daughter commented that she can't believe I, who was never a runner, went running at 6:00am and then rode my bike a mile to get bread!

Mary
Way to go!!!

I'm so excited to see how many people are canning, even if they are just starting! I absolutely love it. I love teaching it, I love doing it, and I love the food after just as much. That over whelming feeling of pride over comes you when you open your pantry in mid January and grab a jar of salsa. You get over come with memories of the previous summer. It's just amazing!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
10 pints of sweet corn.

6180_10_corns.jpg

Latest posts