What I ate from my garden today.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've had rattlesnake beans, very good. Cucumbers in salad and as bread & butter pickles. Tomatoes, potatoes,peppers, onions, eggplant, kale, turnips, kohlrabi, strawberries, asparagus & basil. Also been eating a few ripe figs off 1 of the fig trees this year. It's not putting out enough to can, but I'm hoping one day that will change.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Garden mooching family came out and stripped the garden this evening...and picked the first ripe tomato off the New Yorker plant before I could stop them. o_O Then gobbled it up right there. :rant :smack They moved through that garden like locusts, sort of a little red hen situation that happens every year~stripping green beans, cukes, squash, and tomatoes as they graze along.

Then proceeded to suggest I fry up a skillet of veggies for their supper...using the only spuds I harvested this year or will be likely to harvest.

So, that's what was eaten out of MY garden tonight...tomato, spuds, squash, peppers and onions. :\

Then they asked for a dozen eggs to take home.

I don't begrudge them the food at all and would likely have suggested giving it all to them anyway...but they come out and just commandeer food like it's owed to them. It's weird. :confused:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
my sister in law wanted to take some red peppers last weekend because they were bigger than the green peppers, but they weren't done yet. i'm glad i talked her out of it because they don't really taste as good as the green peppers anyways. when they finally get red i like them a lot more than the green peppers. you just have to be patient. they took a lot of cucumbers.

they can come back and take all the cucumbers they want now. i've got plenty that are ready to pick, tomorrow i may do one last batch of dill pickles and then the rest can be given away.

at least they asked about the eggs. the rest of it does sound rather strange, but perhaps for some reason they've got it in their heads that you've told them they can come and pick any time or something like that.

i would be somewhat annoyed if they didn't even ask, but with the prices of food these days i can see why they'd enjoy a garden full to raid.

the only year they grew watermelon here people came and stole them one weekend when Mom and the now-ex-step-Dad were away. they didn't have much of a fence up then and people would usually wander into the yard/gardens at night on the weekends and some people would steal decorations or be destructive.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Garden mooching family came out and stripped the garden this evening...and picked the first ripe tomato off the New Yorker plant before I could stop them. o_O Then gobbled it up right there. :rant :smack They moved through that garden like locusts, sort of a little red hen situation that happens every year~stripping green beans, cukes, squash, and tomatoes as they graze along.

Then proceeded to suggest I fry up a skillet of veggies for their supper...using the only spuds I harvested this year or will be likely to harvest.

So, that's what was eaten out of MY garden tonight...tomato, spuds, squash, peppers and onions. :\

Then they asked for a dozen eggs to take home.

I don't begrudge them the food at all and would likely have suggested giving it all to them anyway...but they come out and just commandeer food like it's owed to them. It's weird. :confused:
Who was that? They need to ask first and have you pick what you want to give to them.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was my oldest sister and my niece, who have grown more and more entitled as the years go by..no one knows why. My niece has pancreatic cancer, so no one says anything about it, but I guess having cancer has made her even more self serving than normal...she was always like that all her life but it's gotten worse. Much worse. And my sister didn't used to be that way, but has grown into that...I guess through dealing with her princess and seeing how much it gets her to be demanding.

I could tell you story after story of such rudeness but it serves no purpose...suffice to say I've worked oncology as a nurse and also hospice and never met a single CA patient that has acted like that. Most humble and sweetest patients I've ever cared for but I've seen these two in the hospital and it's horrifying how nasty they are to staff and fellow patients when she doesn't get what she wants...and NOW.

Like I said....it's just...weird.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is weird. The several people that I know who have had cancer have actually changed for the better. They don't take things for granted but are very appreciative of you. Sorry that's not the case with your family members.

Next time they come, I would firmly tell them that I am going to pick their edibles!

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago, I was a gardener at a community garden.

It was park department property, although next to their storage yard and not where the public was usually. Nevertheless, people walked past fairly often.

I remember standing right at my gate after explaining to this guy that this was my garden and having him tell me that "God grew it all." He finally shrugged and walked away.

One lady seemed quite cheerful about raiding a garden of one family. I asked about her relationship and she just left. Another guy, I called police. Don’t think they did a thing.

Later I met his brother. Strange to have the brother tell me how the guy would steal from that garden. He was an ex-con. They were on the phone together when I was around, lately. He said goodbye then turned to me to say, “my brother likes to say ‘i love you’ when he hangs up.”

Expectations and faith in them ...

Steve

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some people think it's all about them. Nothing you say or do will change how they act or feel. I pray for people like that. It's either pray or try to slap some sense into them.

This afternoon we're having mashed potatoes, green beans, yellow pear tomatoes and b&b pickles all from the garden. Along with chicken fried steak & gravy. Yum!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee I bet your sister feels because garden at her mothers house she can have what ever she wants. Steve I remember my aunt call the police when someone stole her pumpkins they laughted. Try same thing it in supermarket they would get arrested

Latest posts