What I Learned by Quitting Coffee

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, @valley ranch , are we to assume you are a coffee drinker?

Those were pretty funny, um....poems (?) ( I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to enlighten me ;)).

I like tea, but it's not as fulfilling somehow as coffee. I suspect that my reason for drinking coffee is the half/half I add. Kid#2 says I take the "half and half" part literally.:D

I'm in the same camp as @seedcorn on enjoying the fragrance of brewing coffee actually more than the beverage itself. I love to open a new package of beans and sink my sniffer in and take a deep breath. Ahhhh! Memories of childhood mornings and camping with dad.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Boiled coffee in a pot over a fire on a river bank is the finest I ever had.

The second finest was boiled coffee over a fire on the back yard. Yanked the racks out of the oven, laid them on bricks. Hurricane Rita memories .......

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
About the earliest I can remember making coffee was on the banks of little John Creek not very far upstream from where it joins the St. Maries River. I was thinking about a place to live out in the countryside :), nearly 50 years ago.

I was there on a Fourth of July weekend and what was left in the cups and pot were frozen by morning! I thought, "I can't live here!"

Steve

http://teamcore.usc.edu/nair/limericks/coffee.html

http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1151335-Ode-to-Coffee-

http://greensaysgo.blogspot.com/2006/12/ode-to-coffee.html

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I drink one cup of coffee in the morning, and tea at mid-day (sometimes morning too).

Tea was just okay, until I started exploring all the varieties. I love some of the Japanese green teas, like Sencha and Bancha. And the oolong called Dong Ding (which makes me laugh) is also delicious. I like white tea, too, but it is pricey.

Coffee, I only like medium roast, and I follow @thistlebloom practice of literal half and half.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Looks like your hen goes 1/2 and 1/2, too, =b What breed is she? I have two pullets I was given, and they started off mostly black, but now are whitening up. The previous owner didn't know the breed, but they are already pretty large for 2 mo's.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never did coffee, though my mother has been an addict at different times in her life. Recently, though, she found she had to give it up due to increased problems in her stomach....acid reflux and also an ulcer. Now she does green tea instead.

Never did get the whole coffee thing...bitter, nasty stuff. Like beer...even the smell is repulsive on beer. At least coffee smells good, but tastes bad. Beer smells bad AND tastes bad. :sick

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's all subjective.

I understand the idea from the poem about tea as an "insipid brew," just as I understand some ideas about herbs and spices ... and, I like some of those for tea.

The heat itself is appreciated and I do have to keep my fluid intake up. Even hot water has more appeal than from the tap. Some things turn out to be hard on my stomach that I like. Licorice is that way. Years ago, I realized that licorice in pipe tobacco gave me heartburn. I could give up tobacco and found it necessary to do that in total. Licorice ..?

"She had run down and down and down, and had at last reached a point where medicines no longer had any helpful effect upon her. I said I knew I could put her upon her feet in a week. It brightened her up, it filled her with hope, and she said she would do everything I told her to do. So I said she must stop swearing and drinking, and smoking and eating for four days, and then she would be all right again.

And it would have happened just so, I know it; but she said she could not stop swearing, and smoking and drinking, because she had never done those things. So there it was. She had neglected her habits, and hadn’t any. Now that they would have come good, there were none in stock. She had nothing to fall back on. She was a sinking vessel, with no freight in her to throw overboard and lighten ship withal." ~ Mark Twain

& Steve

Latest posts