what is eating my tomato plant?

mener6896

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found the strangest dropping at the bottom of my tomato plant, and I can't figure out what it could be. They are a little small than what a rabbit would lay, but are "flower shaped" I know this sounds weird, but I can't figure out another way to describe it. I have never seen a rabbit anywhere near my garden, and I do have chickens that I thought were stripping my plants, but these obviously NOT chicken droppings. My garden is fenced, although I realize this doesn't mean much. Fortunately this is only on one variety of my tomatoes.

6397___0024.jpg

6397___0023.jpg

mener6896

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I guess I found out those are hornworm droppings...makes sense, because we have been picking off the hornworms and feeding to our chickens.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, them's hornworm droppings, and they are actually *useful* b/c they help you track down where the hornworm itself is likely hiding :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

mener6896

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
what's the best way to prevent them? other than picking each one off? which I do anyway....

I heard to install a bug zapper because it kills the moth?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, hornworm... Not much left of that poor tomato plant!

Do you have very many tomato plants? I just pick them off. They seem to arrive all at once and when they're gone, they're gone (not like the stinkin' stink bugs which hang around all summer. :rant )

Also, if you see one with lots of little white eggs stuck all up and down it's back, leave that one alone--it's the host for the offspring of a predatory wasp that will do an amazingly effective job of keeping your hornworm problem in check.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have tomato horn worms. They are HUGH but blend in. Look above the droppings. Hand pick and put in soapy water. I had a defoliated plant and still had a hard time seeing them.

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just found 3 of those nasty things on my tomates this morning. Hard to find, easy to remove and hilarious to watch the chickens when tossed in the run.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
AAAAHHHH! I guess with the long growing season we are lucky enough to get TWO hatches of these things.

I just went out to find a totally denuded tomato plant (not that it was doing much anyway). I never got a single tomato off the heirloom tomato I bought, they got it TWICE.

I picked half a dozen of the things off this morning -- the chickens were only interested in the first two, either they were full or these don't taste all that good.

Latest posts