What is your quirky way to plant potatoes?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My taters are going in tomorrow or Thurs, depending on the weather. This year I'm planting them in old tires. Lay an old tire down on some straw or compost, place your tater parts on top of straw- compost, cover with more straw. When you get about 6" of the plant above the last straw, cover 3" of the plant with more straw. Every time another 6" is above the last straw, cover up 3 more inches of plant.
Add another tire on the stack as needed.
When you want some new potatoes reach in or remove the top tire. To harvest the entire lot just pull off the tires until you reach ground level.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you were going to plant potatoes in a raised bed built for just potatoes how many would you say you could plant in three 4' L x 2' W x 12" D beds? Or what other size bed do you recommend?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
agirly4chicks said:
If you were going to plant potatoes in a raised bed built for just potatoes how many would you say you could plant in three 4' L x 2' W x 12" D beds? Or what other size bed do you recommend?
If they are only 2 ft. wide I would say you should only plant 4 plants down the middle of each bed.

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones great feedback. I finally got mine planted in the bottom of a raised bed and covered them with a little soil and then I woke up to rain the next two mornings. I am not covering them, I guess I will let mother nature do her thing. If it works then it works!

Thanks you again and hey at the end of the season maybe we can post some pictures of them in the quirky container's.

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mine have been in the ground for 2 weeks now and NO SPOUTS!

:th

How is everyone else's doing?

Inchworm

Latest posts