What NOT to plant next to each other

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Empera said:
vfem said:
Yeah I live by that website since I'm a totally new at veggie gardening. I have my corn going now, and I'm planting my beans in there too. They will grow up the corn so I don't have to trellis them.
I've never grown either, but I would think that the bean vines might "suffocate" the corn? :idunno Just a thought.
Not a problem. Use pole beans, of course, not bush beans. Wait until the corn is knee high to plant the beans and it works great. With the fast-maturing sweet corn, I'm not convinced the beans actually fix nitrogen early enough to help the corn that much, but it saves trellissing, the corn supports and shades the beans, and it saves space. And the nitrogen the corn uses will be replenished.

Firefyter-Emt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here is a question. This is my first year really trying yo plan out my garden using tricks like this. (Thanks for that web-link too!)

My question is this, when it is suggested to "not plant this together with that", is there a set guideline to distance? Are we talking a row or two, other end of the garden? I planned out my garden on paper and moved things based on whether or not the plant could help another, or if it antagonized something. Howerer, I did end up with stuff maybe two rows away. Is this far enough?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried the radishes under zucks/squash? Does it really work to get rid of borers?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always plant radish in my squash hills and just let it go to seed. I can't say that it *prevents* borers, but is supposed to deter them. As a plus it's an easy way to get my radish seed for the next year. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I tried the link to the chart in an Old Farmer's Almanac online article, but it doesn't work anymore. You ALL know that I credit my sources. I had the foresight to copy and paste it to a Word file. Here is the chart below of "What Grows There: A Vegetable Garden's Best Friends (and Worst Enemies)"
AVegetableGardensBestFriendsandfoes.jpg

I'll be MORE than happy to email anybody the Word doc, so that you can read it, because it's a very useful chart. I suppose I could copy it to an Excell sheet, then enlarge--I'll try that when I have more time. It's a great chart--just not available anymore online. :(

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well I am going to try it and see how well it works.

Bid,
Those seed pods are the BEST in a good salad or just eating the straight off the plant ( i always plant mine close enough to not have to get off the mower to get a handful for munching! :D)

Hobby

Herbgardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If you are planting carrots and parsley, plant them together in the same row the parsley is supposed to mask the smell of the carrots and keep away carrot fly.
I hope this helps!

trion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
chickaD said:
Peas don't like to have peppermint growing nearby. I can't really remember any other no-no combo's, but usually check the book, "Carrots Love Tomatoes" for more clues.
I like that book. The companion part is smaller then expected with the title but there is a ton of info on natural ways to limit pests. Very handy :)

kcsunshine

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Plant pumpkins and squash at the ends of your corn rows to help keep those rascally raccoons out. They don't like the vines because they can't keep a lookout for Farmer John with his shotgun. And yes, people have planted pole beans with corn since they started growing them - remember the indians and pilgrims?

Also, I love the Carrots Love Tomatoes book by Louise Riotte.