What should I do with RHUBARB? Any good recipes out there?

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I feel ya BBH

We inherited 2 ENORMOUS Rhubarb plants. We're talking ancient plants and we only cut half them this year and ended up with like 20lbs of rhubarb O__O

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:frow :frow

I know a lot of you freeze fruit to use throughout the winter.

Here is a link to over 50 recipes for rhubarb (both sweet & savoury, from the BBC Good Food Site. To get the recipe to come up just click on the photo of the dish.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do?keywords=Rhubarb&searchType=recipes&pager.offset=0

**** remember measurements are British, so convert **** :D

:rose Hattie :rose
Hattie, great site. I'm comfortable with converting measurements and sizes, oven temps, etc. but some of the ingredients are totally foreign to me - what is single cream? Double cream? Golden castor sugar? Do you have a good site that offers definitions of these different (yet no doubt differently named to us) ingredients?

ETA I found this great site that has the answer to double cream and a whole lot more. Ochef.com. Check it out!

oberhaslikid

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is my favorite

RHUBARB CRISP
Printed from COOKS.COM

□ 3 c. chopped rhubarb
□ 1 (3 oz.) pkg. strawberry Jello
□ 1 1/2 c. flour
□ 1 c. brown sugar
□ 3/4 c. butter
□ 1 c. oatmeal (not instant)
□ 1 tsp. cinnamon

Put rhubarb in 9-inch square ungreased pan. Sprinkle with Jello.

Combine flour, oatmeal, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter. Sprinkle this mixture over rhubarb. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

OPTIONAL: Peel, core and slice 7-8 apples. Use apples instead of rhubarb and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes until brown on top.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Hattie the Hen said:

I know a lot of you freeze fruit to use throughout the winter.

Here is a link to over 50 recipes for rhubarb (both sweet & savoury, from the BBC Good Food Site. To get the recipe to come up just click on the photo of the dish.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do?keywords=Rhubarb&searchType=recipes&pager.offset=0

**** remember measurements are British, so convert **** :D

Hattie, great site. I'm comfortable with converting measurements and sizes, oven temps, etc. but some of the ingredients are totally foreign to me - what is single cream? Double cream? Golden castor sugar? Do you have a good site that offers definitions of these different (yet no doubt differently named to us) ingredients?

ETA I found this great site that has the answer to double cream and a whole lot more. Ochef.com. Check it out!
I can tell you off hand until Hattie sees this and answers specifically

1 single cream =similar to half and half
golden castor sugar (you can find castor sugar at baking supply stores but if not use light brown sugar it is fine)
2 double cream= our whipping cream

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanx for the info, HD, especially for the golden castor sugar, I think I can buy it from a local cake supply house. According to this Ochef article about double cream, double cream has way more fat than our heavy cream:

Double cream weighs in at 48% butterfat, or at least 6% higher than the highest-fat cream available in the United States heavy cream or heavy whipping cream, which is at least 36% to 40% fat (the wonderful New England dairy from which we buy our cream produces a 42%-fat cream, although it doesn't brag about it). British recipes call for double cream because they can it's available and adds lots of richness to your dish. Will your cake flop if you use heavy cream? Almost certainly not.
So, I might try heavy cream, or, if you read further down in the article, I might try making my own double cream - it'll be interesting to see how it turns out! I pulled three recipes from Hattie's link that sounded delish, Rhubarb & custard pie with butter crumble, Rhubarb and Custard Cake and Rhubarb and Vanilla Jam. I have to go into my Living Cookbook files now and convert everything to American style measurements and temperatures. If anyone is interested once I get them converted I can post the recipes.

I can't wait until the rhubarb starts to come up! :weee

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Reinbeau & HiD,
You can make your own caster sugar by giving some granulated sugar a bit of a whiz in the food processor -- just pulse it a bit, but not as fine as powdered sugar (which we call icing sugar).

Now to the cream --Here is a link that gives you all the descriptions of our dairy products.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/get_cooking/cooks_guide/dairy.shtml

I have to say our cream is wonderful, even the run of the mill commercial ones. But we also have another cream which is amazing, much thicker & totally addictive -- called Clotted Cream. IT IS THE ULTIMATE TREAT !!! :love It is usually eaten on Scones , with jam..... Mmmmm....... :drool
Here is a recipe:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/DevonshireCream.html

*****Edited to add the scone recipe: http://www.joyofbaking.com/EnglishTeaParty.html

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, please, Hattie, it's a good thing clotted cream is hard to come by on this side of the pond, or I'd weigh 300 pounds! I've had it, in a lovely little tea shop in a little town called Leigh-on-Sea, it was to die for! And thanx for the scone recipe, I collect them (I need to make some, too!).

Latest posts