What should I do with RHUBARB? Any good recipes out there?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

I have revived this thread again to remind all you rhubarb growers to mulch your plants with good poo-ey compost NOW if you haven't done it before.
When the snow has melted & you see the first little nobbles of the plant breaking the surface you can start blanching some of them for earlier & sweeter stalks. You will find information about this in the earlier posts here, so scroll back! :D

I'm also adding a new recipe for an oriental-type sauce to have with pork belly.

http://shadowcook.com/2008/11/30/yotam-ottolenghis-roast-pork-belly-and-one-relish/

***WORD OF WARNING: The oven temperature in this recipe is way too high, so be sure to read the remarks & advice at the end of the article ***

Here in the UK we already have this forced rhubarb on sale in the supermarkets as it is specially grown for early crops in caves in Yorkshire where they gather it by candlelight.

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OH HATTIE ...I adore rhubarb thank you for the post!!!

..it should be poking through the ground next month and the first bites for me around the middle or end of March ..it grows right up until the fall for me ...

all I do is lime the soil around the rhubarb anyone do anything else? (just a quick interjection ..it seems to thrive on neglect!) I have put compost around it

I am going to go look today and see if they are showing thier eyeballs yet ..it has been so warm it maybe showing itself now!

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
Cor !!!!!! beavis :duc

It makes my mouth pucker -- you are braver than me :sick

But then there are people who suck lemons .........!!!

I have never heard of that combination but if you like it...! Good for you. :thumbsup

Happy Gardening. :rainbow-sun :rainbow-sun

We used to dip a stalk in the sugar bowl as kids. Sweet and sour in the same bite!

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've made this recipe quite often and everyone loves it. The base is like a shortbread crust. I have several bags of rhubarb I chopped up waiting in the freezer. It works alot better chopping the rhubarb before freezing. (usually I freeze it in 1 - 2" pieces to stew, etc)

Go Anywhere Rhubarb Squares
Ingredients:
1 c. flour
1/3 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. butter

Filling:
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
3 c. finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
Procedure:
Combine flour & powdered sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into the bottom of a greased 11-inch x 7-inch x 2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes. For filling, combine first four ingredients. Stir in rhubarb; pour over warm crust. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm if desired. Store in refrigerator.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
jojo54 said:
I've made this recipe quite often and everyone loves it. The base is like a shortbread crust. I have several bags of rhubarb I chopped up waiting in the freezer. It works alot better chopping the rhubarb before freezing. (usually I freeze it in 1 - 2" pieces to stew, etc)

Go Anywhere Rhubarb Squares
Ingredients:
1 c. flour
1/3 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. butter

Filling:
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
3 c. finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
Procedure:
Combine flour & powdered sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into the bottom of a greased 11-inch x 7-inch x 2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes. For filling, combine first four ingredients. Stir in rhubarb; pour over warm crust. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm if desired. Store in refrigerator.
I have everything to make these with my grandson this week ..thanks!

it is my last bag of frozen rhubarb

now I can yearn for it for a couple of months and start all over again :)

such a great food rhubarb is!!!

we had rhubarb wine spritzer's with strawberries last night

to die for

I am on a new (new for me anyway) diet that encourages the use of wine YAY!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
rhubarb is so easy to freeze you just cut it up and stick it in a bag! no blanching ..no added sugar ..it is one of the few things I love to freeze that and cranberries do so well

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

That chutney is really good & very easy to make. I have often made pots of it as it is delicious with so many things. I love it with oily fish. It is also great over pork chops before you cook them (as a kind of marinade). :p

Latest posts