What should I do with RHUBARB? Any good recipes out there?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight,

That birdbath really looks cool! I am going to look now to see if any of my rhubarb is big enough.

In Texas there is a plant called/nick named an Elephant Ear, it is a tropical plant. It gets huge, and it looks exactly like an elephant ear.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
HiDelight,

That birdbath really looks cool! I am going to look now to see if any of my rhubarb is big enough.

In Texas there is a plant called/nick named an Elephant Ear, it is a tropical plant. It gets huge, and it looks exactly like an elephant ear.
I planted some hardy taro this year and they grown huge leaves so maybe I will get one ..in the mean time I am going to try to do a few with the rhubarb leaves I have ..not make the base and just set them in them garden for the butterflies ..in fact I thought I would fill one with beer to keep the slugs drowned :)

this is inexpensive that is for sure since I already have a few bags of the concrete and sand I can just go get locally there is a gravel company that puts out free sand dig your own!

back to rhubarb
the smokey pork and rhubarb was to die for! try it

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just had another flush of rhubarb! a big flush
I made strawberry rhubarb pies and stuck them in the freezer
raw I hope they turn out I usually cook them and eat them!

I also hope what I did tastes good because it is a gift and the person I made it for will bake it at home

and I did not use any recipes so I am going at this blind yikes!

I made a butter pastry with an added spoon of powdered ginger root
then filled it with a pile of rhubarb tossed in two cups of runny strawberry jam from strawberries I picked last month
a spoon of tapioca flour and about 1/3 cup vanilla sugar

it tasted good on my fingers :)
who else is still eating rhurbarb?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OH BBH I just saw you asked me about clams here ..

this is my favorite "brand" of local shellfish they are reliable wonderful and believe it or not Costco carries at least the wonderful mussels (and usually the oysters, clams and mussels from what I have seen)...all over the country! I found them on a visit to my mother in Ft Lauderdale of all places! http://www.penncoveshellfish.com/

I checked them out and where they farm is in a very clean the water is good quality ....you never know when you dig what the water is like that year ..it is sso sad!! that we have to think about polution but in the Sound there are some very contaminated areas and they do not keep to themselves so be careful digging ..it is fun but unless it is really clear the area is clean ..

I do go digging once in a while however because I really believe that I have to eat clams!!! and digging is fun and poison is cumulative and I will choose mine once in a while by eating some bivalves I have choosen to dig myself on the beaches here in the Puget Sound!

ok done with that! tmi on clams I betcha! especially since this thread was about rhubarb!!!!

and it is not even shellfish season now!

Latest posts