What should I plant in my Arkansas fall garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I don't think Any seeds like that. Again, try OUTSIDE direct seeding in about 2 months, when it starts getting cooler.
Even where I live, I am having trouble with the handful of purchased cauliflour and cabbage that is in mostly all day shade (which will change in September when I prune up some tree limbs). It's just too hot for them.'
Maybe there is something else that is affecting them?

FeatherFeetFarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't think Any seeds like that. Again, try OUTSIDE direct seeding in about 2 months, when it starts getting cooler.
Even where I live, I am having trouble with the handful of purchased cauliflour and cabbage that is in mostly all day shade (which will change in September when I prune up some tree limbs). It's just too hot for them.'
Maybe there is something else that is affecting them?
That would be too late wouldn't it? Too cold? Right now it is way too hot. I couldn't keep the soil moist enough for seeds to grow. What could I plant that late?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
WHAT are you trying to grow? If it's cool weather crops I don't grow that now, except to start Brussels Sprouts and I have strategically planted those north of fencing where I now have sweet corn, so it won't burn up. Once the corn is spent, I will start sugar snap peas just to the south.
ANY lettuce I have seeded is well shaded. Spinach would burn out in full sun. You can still start warm weather crops.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most Reliably Successful: Kale, Tatsoi, Spinach, Claytonia, Baby Leaf Brassicas

Second Most Dependable: Chicory, Pac Choi, Cilantro, Broccoli Raab, Choi Sum, Arugular, Mizuna

More Challenging: Carrots, Bunching Onions, Lettuce, Chard, Turnips, Radishes

Johnny's Seeds advice for planting a minimum of 5 weeks before your 10 sunlight day. You can see their chart HERE. I was looking at Little Rock Arkansas on timeanddate dot com and the last 10 hour day is about 1 December.

Elsewhere on their webpages, they are talking about protective growing so mostly, this chart fits with that technique, with the idea that the plants can grow with the sunlight available. However, they aren't covering the issue of winter cold.

Warm seasons crops have only a very limited growth when the average temperature for a 24 hour day is below 55°f. Weather would vary with location and Mother Nature's whims.

Steve

FeatherFeetFarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
WHAT are you trying to grow? If it's cool weather crops I don't grow that now, except to start Brussels Sprouts and I have strategically planted those north of fencing where I now have sweet corn, so it won't burn up. Once the corn is spent, I will start sugar snap peas just to the south.
ANY lettuce I have seeded is well shaded. Spinach would burn out in full sun. You can still start warm weather crops.
I have Yellow Crookneck Squash, Pattypan Squash, Spaghetti Squash, Clemson Spineless Okra, straight eight Cucumbers, Pumpkins, Early Girl Tomatoes, and Tommy Toe Tomatoes. I still have 4 Yellow Crookneck Squash Sprouts, 6 Okra Sprouts, and 4 Cucumber sprouts. Typically, I would plant all those seeds in spring. I feel like it is too late to start Pattypan Squash and any tomato. However, I would like to start a couple more Spaghetti Squash and maybe a few pumpkins. The reason I say maybe om the pumpkins, is because they won't be ready by Halloween and my family does not eat pumpkins. But my chickens will!

FeatherFeetFarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Most Reliably Successful: Kale, Tatsoi, Spinach, Claytonia, Baby Leaf Brassicas

Second Most Dependable: Chicory, Pac Choi, Cilantro, Broccoli Raab, Choi Sum, Arugular, Mizuna

More Challenging: Carrots, Bunching Onions, Lettuce, Chard, Turnips, Radishes

Johnny's Seeds advice for planting a minimum of 5 weeks before your 10 sunlight day. You can see their chart HERE. I was looking at Little Rock Arkansas on timeanddate dot com and the last 10 hour day is about 1 December.

Elsewhere on their webpages, they are talking about protective growing so mostly, this chart fits with that technique, with the idea that the plants can grow with the sunlight available. However, they aren't covering the issue of winter cold.

Warm seasons crops have only a very limited growth when the average temperature for a 24 hour day is below 55°f. Weather would vary with location and Mother Nature's whims.

Steve
Our temperatures stay pretty warm until about November. So when these plants begin producing, they should be in Ideal temperatures. Not burning hot, and not freezing.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks. They are in my room and we have central heat and air that we keep around 70° F.

are they close to a vent that might be making them too cold? in reading through that list i see moslty warm weather crops that won't like the soil being too cold.

Latest posts