What sweet corn do you use?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Open pollinated Golden Bantam heirloom (I save seed)
I bought some last year to try this year, it all germinated. So we'll see.

pirtykitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have planted Guadalope Gold the past two seasons.. I'm cooking our first batch tonight for supper with new potatoes, and squash all from the garden. I made meat loaf last night..
OOps also bought a container of started Silver queen and filled in with it where seed didnt come up..
Have a package of silver queen I picked up at store the other day.. may plant it for fall...

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
seedcorn said:
So at what stage is everyone picking their sweet corn. As stated, I let it (for most people) go out of prime so I get that "corn" texture. I don't like it when it "pops" and you get fluids. Might be why I like the SE varieties and the not-as-sweet taste like field corn to me.

I never boil my sweet corn as all the flavor goes in the water to me. My MIL thinks boiling water is the only way. I've never grilled sweet corn, will this year.
I pick corn until when i place my thumb over one of the kernels and puncture through it, if it looks milky then it should be ready to pick..
I use the thumbnail test, but my recently deceased father had a different test. He was a commercial dairyman for over 50 yrs. and grew his share of field corn, but the family sweet corn had to be picked just ripe. His test was to go to the garden, husk an ear, and bite into it. If he ate that whole raw ear, the corn was ready!