What Temperature Your House ?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sooooo..."one Smart Duck, SHE felt Smart" (repeat, repeat, repeat)
Decided to clean my upstairs windows. Didn't want to use a ladder to reach the outsides of my interior double panes---there are 12 total windows what with 3 panels, 2 panes + 2 storm windows per dormer and there are 3 dormers.
The wood needs help. Some of the panes slide pretty easily, others need some help. I am working with one of the latter, using soap and oil to lubricate. Last time up it won't move, I use my elbow to push it down and break the upper pane. :hit:hit:hit
Just one little cut on my finger, NO animals were allowed upstairs (mostly bc the cats and the puppy trash stuff), so only me with the shattered window. I got all of the pieces bagged up in a dog food bag, and used my Electrolux to get all of the shards. (I keep a Bissell cheap sweeper upstairs bc of low traffic for most sweeping but it doesn't have much power. However it can pick up dust which is "poison" to my Electrolux. Every tool has it's purpose.)
Now we HAVE to have the local, in town roof and window folks out. I have to replace 3 window panes, the one I broke and two other missing storm windows.
Snow Tomorrow Night--NO KIDDING!!!

Glad you did not get cut bad.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I discovered that the upper interior pane of one bedroom window was cracked about 2 years ago. How did this happen? I joked that DW and I had a pillow fight ... really, it must have been settling of the foundation - the only thing I can think of. It was okay one day ... broke the next.

I asked at Lowe's about replacing just the glass. The guy sent me to a glass shop. Surprisingly, I ended up with a sealed, double pane. That means that I have to take out the unbroken glass. It really looks like that is the best idea.

However, I'm almost sure that it will break. Shards flying! Littering the floor and ground outside! Maybe not but ...

Here I'm a guy who sometimes worked for days on top an acre of glass greenhouses. I'm skeered of the mess! I may be leaving it another winter with just plastic film on the inside. I mean, it's still a single pane against the outdoor air!

:hide Steve
glad you got through that with just a small cut, @ducks4you . Someone above looking out for you ...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i used to be ok keeping most of the house at 55F and just keeping this room a little warmer because Mom was away during the week and i spend most of my time here anyways. the past few winter seasons we've been increasing the temperature from 60F to now where it is at 65-67F. the propane company will charge us $100 extra if we don't use enough. i wanted to switch companies when i heard that, but Mom doesn't want to go through that and i don't want to downsize the tank or buy the tank we currently have.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can remember every fall stapling plastic over the old leaky windows. Everytime I saved a little money to replace something else would break needing money more. Was years before i got new windows. Now my curtains don't move when windy outside

I remember us doing that when I was a kid. I think I may do it. Thank you for the idea. I think it would really make a difference.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here I'm a guy who sometimes worked for days on top an acre of glass greenhouses. I'm skeered of the mess! I may be leaving it another winter with just plastic film on the inside. I mean, it's still a single pane against the outdoor air!

DB decided to change his windows a few years ago and had 1 pane of glass he was moving to his truck to take to the dump and his arm went through it, cut his wrist and had to have stitches. I read a story where this woman was dusting big pictures on the wall and one fell and the glass cut the back of her leg and she bled to death before help arrived, so stories like that and I do not want to mess with glass either.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is your house well insulated? That can make a big improvement too.

Mary

The house was built in 1942, but this office is new. The rest of the house is easy to heat and cool. My brother HATES this room. Somebody bought this house and then added this room and it was to be a master bedroom and has a nice bathroom, but they made the roof too flat. This is the area of the house that has leaked on and off and I did not realize the garage was added when this room was and it leaked too. Last year DB and DS fixed the roof and no leaking so far, but it is very poorly made and just not designed right. DH had to do something to the foundation or something when we moved in because when it rained, water ran in and was under the floor boards built on cement, so DH took all that out and put in carpet, no more leaking.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember us doing that when I was a kid. I think I may do it. Thank you for the idea. I think it would really make a difference.
a $5 tube of window cork really helps also. You cork all around where glass meets wood very easy very cheap lots of videos how on youtube. Cork gun one dollar at dollar stare

Latest posts