1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What Temperature Your House ?

Discussion in 'Indoor & Greenhouse Gardening' started by Nyboy, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Nov 8, 2018
    BrendaJune

BrendaJune Leafing Out

It is getting down to the 20's at night here in Nevada so when hubby gets up at 5:45 to get ready for work he turns the heat up to 70. When he leaves I turn it down to 64 and when I get cold in the afternoon I build a fire in the wood stove and it gets up to 78 by the evening. We put the last log on before we go to bed and the heat doesn't come on all night. By the time he gets up though it is cold in the house. Then we start over! Most of the heat from the stove stays in the great room and the bedrooms stay pretty cool. We turn on our electric blankets if we get cold in there at night. So thankful for modern conveniences!

2. Nov 8, 2018
    valley ranch

valley ranch Garden Addicted

Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
    It's about 77 -78 degrees in the morning from the furnace ~ then I start the wood stove and keep it around 79 - 81 degrees ```

3. Nov 8, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Is dog in your avtar a english setter? @Jared77 a member just went from goldens to english setters. They are rare here no one hunts only had 2 clients who had them

4. Nov 9, 2018
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    Thanks for the well wishes! :hugs I live in a 100yo+ house and this was an original window pane. I have had many windows and panes used for gardening that have broken, so I know to be careful picking up the shards. The best trash bag for glass happens to be animal feed bags, even the dog and cat bags, bc the glass rarely pokes through the plastic.
    Had the local roofing/window company stop by yesterday, but they don't fix these things. So, once aGAIN, I have to remove the wood, take out the window and bring it to town to repair.
    **sigh**
    nothing easy it seems...

5. Nov 9, 2018
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

Ain't it true!?!

The greenhouse glass work had to be done on a roof ladder made from a 1" by 12" with 1" by 2" cleats. The largest pieces of glass were on the very top of the largest greenhouses ..!

The 200# guy wouldn't get on the roof ladders. The 50 year old guy would only get on the roof after a windstorm crisis. I was lighter and younger then. My repeated mantra was "spider monkey," "spider monkey."

I could just fit the largest glass under my arm. I had additional mantras when carrying that glass ...

We had one guy hired for summer help. He had just come to work and I had a day off. He fell through the roof - stitches inside the arm and to close the skin. He never came back.

Steve
    NyBoy's cork = caulk.

buckabucka likes this.
  6. Nov 9, 2018
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

LOL thanks Steve I thought it was wrong but didnt have energy to look it up caulk

digitS' likes this.
  7. Nov 13, 2018 at 5:23 AM
    Jared77

Jared77 Garden Addicted

This is Jasper [​IMG]

He's a lot of fun to have around. He's bigger than I expected but he gets it done in the field as a hunter and a joy to have as part of the family.

8. Nov 13, 2018 at 11:13 AM
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Good looking dog rare around here only 2 clients had them in 30 years. Sad the golden which used to be the great family dog is now unwanted here I had to lower my price on puppies several times. No one wants them because of shedding they have been replaced by goldendoole

9. Nov 14, 2018 at 1:17 AM
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

Is he a flusher or will he hold a point?

10. Nov 14, 2018 at 11:05 AM
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Everyone knows the Irish setter few know the English setter. When boarding a English I am always asked if he a Dalmatian mix.