What Temperature Your House ?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been a little weird, good - but weird. I realized that I've never actually lived in this house alone. So EVERYTHING is getting re-assessed. I spent the entire weekend - from the time I got home Friday until almost bed time Sunday - rearranging the den & decorating, cleaning out cabinets in the kitchen, cleaning my (now) spare bedroom and moving furniture in there to make a study, moving things out of my over-stuffed, over-crowded bedroom - just making breathing room. :weee
So it's good that I'm keeping the house cool with all that work going on. :D

I have a Bluetooth speaker in the den and play audio books or music while I work. If the TV is on I'm too tempted to take a break and sit down to watch a little... which becomes an hour..

Yay for you!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've heard that it actually uses MORE energy to flip the thermostat back and forth from a low empty house daytime temp, to a higher busy home evening temp, then back to a low sleeping temp, and back up to a warmer getting going in the morning temp.
Any truth to this?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I only turn on the heat pump furnace in the a.m. I get the house up to 62, then turn it off. I do have space heaters in the office where I'm mostly at nowadays. I don't run it at night.

I'm so blazing hot in my low 50's F bedroom. Hot flashes galore for almost 20 years, plus a dog at my feet and one cat who is now slammed up against me and is like a furnace. I'm always throwing off the sheet and blanket to cool down for 15 min or so.

The heat pump, when you turn it on in the a.m. uses "Emergency power". That is there are some coils that heat up as aux power to bring the house up to your selected temp ASAP. It really draws the power. We're paying 14 cents per KW here, vs 29 cents baseline per KW in Calif. But still my bills ran last winter over $300 a month. Its an all electric house. Double pane windows but alum frames. Freezing.

The other house has a furnace that runs on Natural Gas. Avista Power (the gas provider there) just lowered their baseline pricing for the 2018 winter. I might be able to save money down there, not to mention its 12 years newer.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Turning heat up/down depends upon temp differences and how much you are having to heat up & time at what temps. Room full of furniture/things will take extra energy to take them all up to new temp. There are no real savings/year IF you House is well insulated and fairly draft free. Electric companies want you to turn it down while at work because of having to buy electric at peak times. They’d rather you burn electric at night when industry/schools are pull8ng their loads.

I’d freeze if I kept our house in the lo 60’s. Low 70’s in summer freees me in house.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH plays with the thermostat. Night, 68 degrees summer or winter. He usually keeps the daytime temps 70-75, depending if he is hot or cold. Ceiling fans run all the time. I don't care, whatever makes him happy.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We only have central heating. The temp. is set at 67 during the day and is automatically lowered after 10pm. Don't know what that is. Then timer kicks on at 5am.

Mary

Latest posts