What weird food did you eat as a kid?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nothing from the garden, I really should have cilantro in the greenhouse and learn how long it can survive without any heat in there. I bet it could perform well.

Anyway, lunch was chopped, store-bought cilantro sprinked on some chucked-up tofu that had been boiled just a couple of minute. I went for teriyaki sauce for seasoning and put the chunks on rice. That was it. I bet millions of people ate these foods today while millions can't even imagine doing so ;).

I had quite a lot of housework – forced on me by snow that changed to drizzling rain and @Branching Out 's requirements for today's weather.

Steve
Oh, cilantro is the only herb that I have difficulty to eat, even homegrown ones. It's interesting that in Taiwan, either you dislike cilantro or scallion - it's a funny way to 'categorize' how people prefer the toppings on their (street) food.
Well, difficult but not impossible, I can eat that better when I chopped and used them together with chili and garlic :p

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now that I'm an adult and no one, no one, cooks like that in my life...there's not much I've tried that I've disliked. I've had some unusual foods like ostrich, alligator and whole baby octopus. Not great, but not inedible. I like lotus root and pickled daikons. I like Palak Paneer and Mapo Tofu.
Wow, I tried the unusual foods you mentioned and also like pickled daikons, paneer and all kinds of tofu. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom fancied herself a grand cook ... pickled daikons. I like Palak Paneer and Mapo Tofu.
We have curry now and then. Restaurants or the sauce comes out of a jar. I would prefer to make the sauce but it is obvious to me that DW isn't much of a curry fan. It is nice for a change to use a little in our very common, beef stew.

There's absolutely nothing grand about my cooking and all I try to do is do it carefully, which has to mean simply because I'm well aware that there are too many ways to mess up. Example: Mapo Tofu recipes that I just looked at. Eleven, 14, 19 ingredients. Oh no, that's NOT for me!

Scallions or cilantro on top? How about either one or both ;)?

When we have a 'Vietnamese sandwich,' is that diakon radish pickled? The other day, DW claimed that it is. I have thought that it was about the only thing special and appreciated about them but didn't realize that those slices were pickled.

And, just-about, an any cheese guy, Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing from the garden, I really should have cilantro in the greenhouse and learn how long it can survive without any heat in there. I bet it could perform well.

Anyway, lunch was chopped, store-bought cilantro sprinked on some chucked-up tofu that had been boiled just a couple of minute. I went for teriyaki sauce for seasoning and put the chunks on rice. That was it. I bet millions of people ate these foods today while millions can't even imagine doing so ;).

I had quite a lot of housework – forced on me by snow that changed to drizzling rain and @Branching Out 's requirements for today's weather.

Steve
My cilantro drops seed which resprouts and grows until a deep freeze. Then they sprout again in very early spring. So yummy.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As in you made your own bull kelp pickles, or as in the jarred stuff like Barnacle Foods sells? I've tried the latter, but found it a bit too sweet for my taste (and they had stopped making the sugar free extra sour version by the time I found out about them.)
I made my own bull kelp pickles!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is that still common to make lard/oil from the fat or skin? I love them.
23-12-05-08-51-33-923_deco.jpg
P_20231205_065011.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, the weird food adventures from childhood! I vividly remember munching on dried seaweed like it was a bag of chips—definitely an acquired taste! Also, I used to mix up a strange combo of peanut butter and pickles, which surprisingly tasted good to my younger self.

if you like liver i think onions and peanut butter are close in flavor. no i don't recommend this to anyone to try... :)

Latest posts