What weird food did you eat as a kid?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, its hard to think of anything strange. Hubs tastebuds have narrowed alot in the last few years. So I'm not as experimental as I used to be.

Mom has a low tolerance for spices and strange so my cooking is very tame these days in comparison to when i lived alone. i do keep some bottles of hot sauce on hand and often use them during the week to kick things up a notch. hot chocolate with a bump of hot sauce is a winter thing for me once in a while.

DD is trying to get me to like and cook some lengua, however. I haven't yet....

i haven't had tongue in a long time. i'm pretty sure Mom cooked it once in a while when we were young but after her and Dad split up we didn't eat things like that any more. no more venison either. in recent years i've not cooked any lamb of any kind, but i used to have that once in a while for something different. with recent prices i don't even bother looking at it and besides i can't cook it here so not worth the bother. keeping a chunk of meat buried in the freezer for the very off-chance that i may someday get a chance to cook it and eat it is about as bad as growing turnips (Mom doesn't like the smell of those cooking at all) the deer end up eating them 99.99% of the time.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
as an older person and also as a younger person i've always liked sardines from the can. don't look too close at them and just eat them. :) some people can't do that. i've just done it and enjoyed. probably because i remember Grandma's tiny dried fish that she used to make and i had a very hard time resisting the salty chewy snacks.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20231202_142531_Chrome.jpg
Okay. It was sushi (California) and a corn dog for lunch. But similar!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing from the garden, I really should have cilantro in the greenhouse and learn how long it can survive without any heat in there. I bet it could perform well.

Anyway, lunch was chopped, store-bought cilantro sprinked on some chucked-up tofu that had been boiled just a couple of minute. I went for teriyaki sauce for seasoning and put the chunks on rice. That was it. I bet millions of people ate these foods today while millions can't even imagine doing so ;).

I had quite a lot of housework – forced on me by snow that changed to drizzling rain and @Branching Out 's requirements for today's weather.

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bull kelp sushi, spicy bull kelp pickles, green sea lettuce Asian salad, Mediterranean shrimp with garlic feta & yogurt sauce with fettuccine, tacos with sheep sorel, sea asparagus, salads with stone crop, dandelion flower tea, and more!
As in you made your own bull kelp pickles, or as in the jarred stuff like Barnacle Foods sells? I've tried the latter, but found it a bit too sweet for my taste (and they had stopped making the sugar free extra sour version by the time I found out about them.)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom fancied herself a grand cook and made lots of food very poorly. I thought I was a very picky eater as a child, because I didn't like chilli with the whole bottle of chilli powder in the chilli, seasoning dry on top because it was piled so high.

Now that I'm an adult and no one, no one, cooks like that in my life...there's not much I've tried that I've disliked. I've had some unusual foods like ostrich, alligator and whole baby octopus. Not great, but not inedible. I like lotus root and pickled daikons. I like Palak Paneer and Mapo Tofu.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom fancied herself a grand cook and made lots of food very poorly. I thought I was a very picky eater as a child, because I didn't like chilli with the whole bottle of chilli powder in the chilli, seasoning dry on top because it was piled so high.

oh my! lol

i like a lot of chili powder in my chili but have never had it on top still crunchy or dry. kudoes for Mom to do something i've never done. :)

how did she manage tuna caserole?

Now that I'm an adult and no one, no one, cooks like that in my life...there's not much I've tried that I've disliked. I've had some unusual foods like ostrich, alligator and whole baby octopus. Not great, but not inedible. I like lotus root and pickled daikons. I like Palak Paneer and Mapo Tofu.

i've had some of those but not all. if your Mom's goal was to get you to be able to eat about anything she may have succeeded...

Latest posts