What weird food did you eat as a kid?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, its hard to think of anything strange. Hubs tastebuds have narrowed alot in the last few years. So I'm not as experimental as I used to be.

DD is trying to get me to like and cook some lengua, however. I haven't yet....

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
What weird food are you eating as an adult?
That would probably be some of the lesser-known members of the gourd family; bitter melon (as in my avatar). tromboncino squash, luffa, gherkins (the real gherkins, not small cucumbers) and cucuzzi gourd. I love chayote squash too, but can't grow it this far North. I've actually considered putting up a heated tunnel just for that, since the tall, trellised vines would need to be kept above 60 F. through at least the end of October.

As far as prepared foods, I don't eat anything really strange... but I'm starting a new life, and am willing to try (almost) anything once. Exceptions would be anything that squirms on the way down, burns me, gags me, or tries to crawl back up. :rolleyes:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Crispy chicken skin

My intention is basically to get the oil (for cooking, like Lard), but the crispy chicken skin is always a wonderful byproduct. Pork lard mixed rice is a grandma-type homefood for us, but chicken oil can do it, too.
14449_0.jpg

In Germany, chicken thigh and whole chicken might be the most wallet friendly proteins. They are cost-effective and multi-functional ingredients as long as you can work on them by yourself. I never did this before moving to Germany, we could get deboned chicken meat easily.

However, after years of practice, I am very used to handle chickens (and even put down three roosters at the end) now. I also love to use excessive chicken skin (same if we get ducks or some pork fat) for chicken oil. Nothing would be wasted ~

When the chicken skin melts and gradually releases the oil, it smells so great. I would take out the crispy skins and add sliced garlic and/or chili/shallots, heaven.
14460.jpg

For example, I used the chicken oil to cook potatoes and leek today, so yammy!
14447.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that your real photo?

i think most of what she posts in TEG that is home or cooking oriented is genuinely her pictures of her things. the humor threads and gardening it seems she does post pictures taken from other places at times but that is ok with me. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
in thinking about cookie dough i realized that it is a later version of pemmican so for now on i will feel very inspired when i feast upon it. i do like it much better with raisins and peanuts in it and more molasses.

i have been pretty good all day. only one cookie so far and no cookie dough. Mom is on round 3. i'm not sure what she's making this round.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think most of what she posts in TEG that is home or cooking oriented is genuinely her pictures of her things. the humor threads and gardening it seems she does post pictures taken from other places at times but that is ok with me. :)
I meant her avatar. She is so young and cute.

Latest posts