What's Bloomin'

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
20210617_190800_resized.jpg
20210617_191429_resized.jpg

Tried my best to tie up this drooping and breaking peony...was not possible/believable...
20210617_190839_resized.jpg

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
To my astonishment, my dad, while watering today, showed me that my whatever it is from last year (the mallow leafed thing) is actually sending forth buds again! Apparently, it seems that, the day length thing that made it wait until frost time last year must only need to happen once.

I suppose this is additional refutation of it being Abelmoschus esculentus or A. manihot . I don't think EITHER of those is a perennial. So my money's still on A. angulosis (don't know if that's a perennial either, but I know little about it, so it is possible.)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
That iris ...🤩
I have the same black iris as @Carol Dee ... EVERYWHERE!!! They are SOOOOO tough and seem to multiply and get away from me. I even have about 50 growing on the north and shady side of the house, AND finished blooming.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have the same black iris as @Carol Dee ... EVERYWHERE!!! They are SOOOOO tough and seem to multiply and get away from me. I even have about 50 growing on the north and shady side of the house, AND finished blooming.
I hope it spreads. We have a ton of yellow ones. I plant a blue one that bloomed last year but failed to show up this year. .

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i should call this yellow season. the birdsfoot trefoil and the yellow potentilla are blooming. the trefoil has this habit of taking over whatever garden it happens to invade. i planted the horticultural version that is very tall as compared to the wild kinds found along the road. it is a a great plant to use to grow fodder and to enrich the soil and to use as a green manure when harvested before it sets seeds, but it drops so many seeds that it can take several years to clear all the seeds out or you'll get reinfested again.

i think i'll have to work on the garden it is taking over soon. we have a lot of thyme growing in there and it's getting smothered by the trefoil. perhaps today will be a good day for that since i have to weed the squash garden anyways. we'll see if the rains happen or not...

i should note though that the trefoil does not like being repeatedly mowed short so that at least does work to clear it out as compared to the wilder shorter kind which can take over a lawn. the thyme does ok if mowed taller enough to not kill it.

Latest posts