What's Coming @ You

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know the Southeast east is getting hammered by rain and sleet right now!

Upper Midwest & Northeast -- look what is coming at you.

satsfc.gif

Will that loop . update?? Don't know! Haven't figured out this tablet.

Anyway, give this 40mph wind and temperature in the 40's a few days. This is what the WS says it should look like in 6:

97ep48iwbg_fill.gif

Meanwhile, western WA/OR will have washed into the Pacific!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Man! I'm still marveling at the window of winter traveling weather we had to go south. That has all deteriorated and I would hate to have to do it right now.
God is good.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
With how wet this valley that I live in already is I may be living in a lake by the time that this is over. At least the ducks will like it. :p

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The news crews are having a field day with the snow and ice in the south. At least this time, people stayed home and off the roads. Poor news crews :hitinstead of lines of stalled cars, super pile up wrecks, they only have empty highways with the occasional lonely car on the road.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The news crews are having a field day with the snow and ice in the south. At least this time, people stayed home and off the roads. Poor news crews :hitinstead of lines of stalled cars, super pile up wrecks, they only have empty highways with the occasional lonely car on the road.

Not a problem for the news crews. They will be standing under ice-covered branches and power lines -- pointing up -- while explaining how quickly they can fall under the weight. With any luck someone will get a breaking story.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, everythime we have a hurricane, they put some poor idiot on the Galveston seawall in sideways driving rain, winds 140MPH, and there's an evacuate order?? Just google "pictures hurricane Ike Galveston" for view of utter destruction.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
do you always have to remind me what i have to drive through to get to and from work tomorrow?! o_O

here's hoping my work will let us leave early and i can get home early enough to start some seeds! they're predicting up to a foot by the time it should be done early Friday morning. however, looks like it may be closer to 6" near the coast where i work. plows have been pushing the snowbanks further back from the last storm anticipating lots of snow this time around.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
But, Chickie'sMoma, the maps aren't showing you what will happen tomorrow in New Hampshire.

They are showing what may happen 6+ days from now.

You are getting lots of ideas about what you may have to deal with tomorrow. THAT, is a big storm and almost the entire East Coast is under it right now.

Next time around, it may not be terrible but it is blowing thru here today and on its way. The other maps show no end in sight for the PNW storms thru all these days between the 12th & the 18th. At least, not the PNW coast. It could be that there will be a steady flow of storms riding across the 49th parallel, the Great Lakes and into New England. It may be the story for the remainder of February.

My DD just bought an SUV. She was not happy driving a front-wheel drive about 50mi each workday with what we've had around here.

Now, there is this major meltdown! And, she has just begun working at a new location. It probably isn't a 5mi commute. I'll shift from worrying about her highway miles to worrying about her ability to make the payments.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
heh, i left this morning with snow starting to come down. got to work ok and snow was just starting to stick to the ground. work let us leave at 2:30 today. it was a rough drive on the short stretch of Rt 101 to get to Rt 125, couldn't see about 20' in front of my car and roads weren't even touched by the plows. finally got home around 4pm, usually takes me 40 minutes but i made it safely home and that's what counts.

i hope your dd feels much safer during her drive. i admit, here in NH and New England during the winter we really need to have either a SUV or something with all wheel drive to get too and from where you need to go during the nasty weather. i've owned both front wheel and rear wheel drive vehicles and i have to say i feel safer with my Subaru but if i couldn't afford another one i would have to go with front wheel drive again. i just wouldn't want to travel the same distance i currently go to work.

as i was driving home tonight i was thinking about those in the south and how they could prepare for winter driving. driving in snow is similar to driving in mud. so what a good way to train themselves than with mudding! :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Getting safely where you are going is everything!

The lessons have to be learned each year even where we have winters with snow. Another lesson was reported by the Weather Service this morning: frozen ground, after hours of darkness, will freeze water on asphalt even if the air temperature is above freezing right thru the night.

A big problem, of course, is that many folks just find it impossible to slow down!

ChickiesMoma, it took you about or nearly 90 minutes on your drive. 90/40 = 225% of usual driving time. That means you were going well less than 1/2 of your usual speed. If someone usually drives at 60mph and it is "impossible" for him or her to slow to 30 . . . There's no hope!

Steve
edited for math once again!

Last edited: