What's Coming @ You

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's neat @journey11 ! Mom's neighbor built an igloo last winter, she had the greatest time watching him - no kids, just a bored minnesotan :D

Interesting things people do to amuse themselves through the cold season ... this is going on at the Cathedral in St. Paul this weekend ...

Crashed Ice - St. Paul

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's my weather forecast for tomorrow...

Sunday night: Rain to freezing rain, sleet then snow from north to south. Heavy accumulation likely. Snow amounts depend on how fast the transition occurs. .25" to .50" of freezing rain possible with an average of 4" to 8" of snow on top total through Monday morning. This would be enough to bring down trees and power lines which would cause power outages. Low 25-30.

Low of -3 for Monday night.

DH went to Home Depot today and got the last generator they had. We had planned to buy one with our tax return anyway.

How's that for March coming in like a Lion?! :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 , we should all look back at that first map at the beginning of this thread about the end of June.

Just so we can smile and shrug our shoulders with the memory of what that dang thing looked like several times this winter!

Wishing You the Best of Luck! Be Safe.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seems like these ice storms cycle through every few years, so we'd be right on time to have one. :p I've got all the laundry done, generator hooked up, 3 days of water put aside, critters all cared for, etc....should be good to go! I hope I did enough to jinx it away, ha.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your very active weather day:
noaad1.gif

It isn't any colder here this morning than yesterday, -12°c. Okay, you caught me! I'm trying to let Heather know she is not alone with the very serious cold. Yeah, we only have 11 degrees Celsius below freezing. Look east Heather! It's just that the Weather Service decided we should get snow instead of the cold.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's ever-changing. My forecast was for rain overnight, followed by freezing rain early this morning, followed by sleet, followed by snow. We started out with sleet after sunrise, which was great instead of freezing rain. During that sleet we had a short burst of hail maybe twice pea size out of nowhere just as I went to get the paper. Perfect timing as always. We've had just a touch of snow but that really isn't forecast until later for any accumulations. Thunder was forecast further south, not up here. Out power was knocked out for a second by a lightning strike somewhere that sounded pretty close. Thunder is still rumbling.

All in all not as bad as forecast yet. The forecast has changed from power outages likely to some power outages possible. That's a huge improvement. As long as I've got power I'm comfortable.

Journey, my preparations were to crank the generator so it was used to it and I had the procedure fresh on my mind, get the gasoline ready but don't overfill the generator just yet or I'll have top drain it later, lay out the power cords I'd need, put fresh batteries in one flashlight that needed it, make sure I knew where the electric match and regular matches were and were available, and fix a temporary brooder in the garage in case I needed to move the chicks out of their brooder in the coop. Other than replacing those batteries in the flashlight that really needed it, hopefully that was all in vain.

It's early in this event and I know others won't fare as well as I have so far. Good luck to all.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh boy, I'm glad I don't have any chicks to worry about right now. Sounds like you've gotten a precipitation cocktail today, Ridgerunner.

I see they have updated my forecast too: less ice, 4-6" snow. We came from town this afternoon after church and it was just rain, but as soon as we reached the peak of our hill all of the trees you can see from here are already coated with ice. Odds are good we'll lose power since we've lost it several times out here this winter, but hopefully if it's not so widespread they'll get to us faster. We'll see what we wake up to tomorrow anyhow.