What's your favorite way to cook asparagus?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a crispy coated ( like union rings) baked, no salt, fat free recipe for asparagus that my wife makes that is just FABULOUS ! 1 bunch asparagus ( trimmed, washed, and patted dry) . Into a 1 gallon size plastic freezer baggie place... 1 cup of flour, season with a little black pepper and Mrs. Dash or any other spice or combo to taste. In a medium size bowl... seporate 2 egg whites and with a wisk beat until frothy, then add 3 heaping tablespoon fulls of Mayonaise and a dash of Worscestershire sauce then mix until all are evenly smooth . Into a pie pan or large dinner plate place 1 cup of Panco crumbs. Take the prepared asparagus and place a few asparagus spears at a time into the baggie and shake the baggie to coat. Then one at a time, place the flour coated spear into the Mayo mix and coat evenly, then place it into the Panco to coat it evenly. Next , place it onto a large baking pan lined with parchment paper. Repeat . Then , preheat oven to 350* and place the pan with the coated asparagus into oven and bake for 15 + / - min until light golden brown. Enjoy ! :drool

Wow. That would be beautiful for a nice Sunday dinner Bob!
I can see I'll have to be buying asparagus regularly this spring. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can start in spring...or fall. I started mine in spring. I kept thinking I didn't want to start a bed,if I wasn't go to stay in this location forever. I planted them, maybe 6 years ago- and I am still here! What is that saying? "Garden like you are going to live forever." Same with my fruit trees- no time like the present! Mary I have seen asparagus in pots at greenhouses. Not sure about that for a permanent solution- but it wouldn't hurt to try!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary I have a big tub with several crowns of asparagus in it. DH has made fun of it for 3 years--not anymore! I got tiny little plants in a 4" pot and it does take awhile for them to make. I would love to have a 1/2 acre of asparagus!

Is anybody is familiar with greenbriar, the thorny, vine that grows in the woods and rips your shirt. The young growing tips of greenbriar is tender and tastes like asparagus. I eat it raw when I find it! On another site, one man posts that he has a greenbriar patch on a trellis, that he harvests the sprouts in the spring. Then in the fall, he cuts them off at the root for the vines to dry. They are flammable and he uses the dry vines to start fires as kindling in his heater.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I'm confused. Are your asparagus in the tub or 4" pots? After 3 years, have they produced any, if so how much?

I've always wondered how many crowns I could plant in a wine barrel and how many they would produce? Enough for 2 people?

Many

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The tubs I use are from cattle syrup lick tubs, they're pretty big. I planted one 4" pot in a tub 3 years ago. if they were in the ground, it might have produced better, but this is the first year I have cut any asparagus. We had asparagus 4 times, I could have planted more in the tub, but it was to see if they would grow.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, is the tub about the size of a wine barrel? From this 4" pot, you ate aspargus 4 times? Seems like it did pretty good.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, wine barrel would be a comparable size. But I should have planted three of those 4" pots in it. They make a spindly, fern, lacy type of growth that is pretty to me. It dies back in the winter, I cut off the growth and mulch with leaves from the chicken run. (I gather leaves in the fall and let the chickens make my compost)