what's your winter time favorite.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love homemade lasagna or pizza. We enjoy asparagus or broccoli souffle with vegetables we freeze in season, or a roasted turkey.
@canesisters , at the risk of being one of those people who diagnoses all your health problems, if diet doesn't help, you might want to have them run a test for lyme disease. My DH thought it might be time for a hip replacement when he contracted it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I used to make my own lasagna from scratch. I was never satisfied with the finished product, and likes Stouffers so much better. So....I went back to Stouffers :hide
I will NEVER tell anybody that what they prefer is better than what I prefer. DH says that I have ruined ordering lasagna at a restaurant bc it doesn't taste as good.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i could eat cold lasagna or much of anything else for breakfast
every day, but now it has to be a different sauce than tomato
based.

it's not yuck at all to me, it's a staple and good fuel for the
fire. can go all day.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
For over a half century, I get a craving for Kugelis that my Grandmother used to make. She was an excellent cook, but she never wrote down any recipe just made everything from what was in her head only. My mother was a horrible cook, like she had a hard time to boil water. So, my wife ( who is a gourmet cook ) made it using every recipe for kugelis in cook books and internet that were just ok but not what I remembered. So, I started to experiment ... grating potatoes is time consuming and hard on one's knuckles resulted in turning to off the soopermarket shelf. I finally came up with a winner last year... so here it is NYboy... if I can make it then all of you can too . : 2 Golden Grill brand 4.2 oz. packages of dehydrated hashbrown potatoes ( from Costco ), Idahoan brand original mashed potatoes make 8 servings ( instead of milk use 1/3 can of Carnation brand evaporated fat free milk, save for later ) , half pound of bacon slices cut into 1/4 " pieces - fry untill the pieces start to turn slighly brown, remove the bacon and set aside). In the bacon fat, add 1 large opion or 2 medium onions finelly diced and heat untill they just start to turn to light brown, remove from frying pan and set aside). In a large bowl, beat 5 eggs and add the rest of the can of evaporated milk followed by the rest of the set aside ingredients , top with a teaspoon of salt and pepper, stir untill thoroughly blended ( it will be quite thin at this point ). Then pour into a glass 9 x 13" pan and cook in the oven for 1 1/4 hours or untill the top is a light brown color and the toothpic test is clear. Let cool for 10 minutes, slice into 1/3" thick slices, then top with your favorite jam but plum jam is the best. Some people use sour cream as a topping, but my grandmother always prefered the plum jam. You will have leftovers, and the taste gets even better when you take the 1/3" thick slices, and fry them untill both sides get a golden brown color , top with a jam and enjoy for breakfast or for any other meal. :drool :drool :drool Comfort food at it's best ! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Last edited:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Trying to duplicate something your gran used to make is a challenge. My gran made the most delicious shepherd's pie I've ever tasted, she made it with ground up left over roast beef and onion which she put through the grinder with the beef, this was mixed with the leftover gravy (she made the best gravy ever) and topped with left over mashed potatoes, waste not want not was her motto. I have duplicated this just once in all the years I've been making it, came close a couple of times but only nailed it once.
My father-in-law, used to put some really weird combos together, which we choked down and said after, that was tasty pop, fingers crossed behind our backs. But, I have to say he made a really good toasted egg sandwich.
In a frying pan he put a dab of marg, and some diced onion, when translucent he poured some egg beaten with a bit of milk over it and topped this with Parmesan cheese, pulling the sides in as it cooked instead of scrambling it turned out light and fluffy. Put between to slices of toasted bred it was really yummy.
It really picked me I couldn't quite duplicate this, I even tried it with half and half but something was missing. I finally figured what I was doing wrong, pop used canned milk not fresh, this is what made the difference.
We don't used canned milk as a rule so I buy a can and freeze it in an ice cube tray so I have it on hand when I make his sandwich, a couple of cubes melted in the microwave although not looking like it does coming out of the can does the trick.

Annette

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree on things grandmas made. Fried tenderloins were too good for mere mortals. She made a pie that cousins are trying to tell me we're blueberries but they had a completely different taste than our northern berries. I can still taste it in my mind today.

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Baked Ziti

Had to look these up, now I HAVE to try them!
My fave winter thing is anything that I can put in the crock pot. Beef, pork, rabbit, chicken, leftover bits of these with veggies for a stew. I just love the way the house smells when something's been cooking all day and you come in out of the cold. Throw some bakers in the nuker and a package of home growed beans on the stove, there's dinner. (the easier it is to cook the better I like it)
I also cook a turkey about once a month when it gets cold, it's not just for Thanksgiving. Turkey sandwiches and homemade veggie soup are a staple in this house. I really preferred it when the turkeys were home growed too... but I sure don't miss plucking them!
We BBQ a lot in the winter too, it always make me wonder what the neighbors think as that lovely smell wafts away in the bitter breeze!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Trying to duplicate something your gran used to make is a challenge. My gran made the most delicious shepherd's pie I've ever tasted, she made it with ground up left over roast beef and onion which she put through the grinder with the beef, this was mixed with the leftover gravy (she made the best gravy ever) and topped with left over mashed potatoes, waste not want not was her motto. I have duplicated this just once in all the years I've been making it, came close a couple of times but only nailed it once.
My father-in-law, used to put some really weird combos together, which we choked down and said after, that was tasty pop, fingers crossed behind our backs. But, I have to say he made a really good toasted egg sandwich.
In a frying pan he put a dab of marg, and some diced onion, when translucent he poured some egg beaten with a bit of milk over it and topped this with Parmesan cheese, pulling the sides in as it cooked instead of scrambling it turned out light and fluffy. Put between to slices of toasted bred it was really yummy.
It really picked me I couldn't quite duplicate this, I even tried it with half and half but something was missing. I finally figured what I was doing wrong, pop used canned milk not fresh, this is what made the difference.
We don't used canned milk as a rule so I buy a can and freeze it in an ice cube tray so I have it on hand when I make his sandwich, a couple of cubes melted in the microwave although not looking like it does coming out of the can does the trick.

Annette
I'm gonna try making Shepherd's pie. :drool I make awesome gravy and I bought this metal metal grinder, still in the box, years ago. Plus we split the food costs and eat with our two DD's (12 minutes drive away), M-F mostly and thought my eldest is a very good cook she won't do leftovers. A LOT of times I take it home and my dog gets it bc it's too old for me to eat. I am tired of wasting roast leftovers.

Latest posts