what's your winter time favorite.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
omg @ducks4you!

leftover roast just doesn't have a chance around here. we've gotten away from making them and so i've not seen one in four or five years.

and i can kick myself for not buying a meat grinder at an auction some years ago as it was brand new and still in the box and exactly like the one we have which is probably close to 60yrs old.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@ducks4you If you don't have left over mashed potatoes you can top with frozen hash browns. I do mine in a lidded casserole, heat the oven to 350º and in for 1 hour. My meat grinder is my grandmothers it must be more than 100 years old.

Thinking about my gran she made an awesome Melton Mowbray pork pie from scratch, this is the place in England where she grew up. This is something I have never mastered, I was too young at the time to pay attention to how she made it. Lovely for a light supper, a slice of this, a bit hot mustard, cheddar cheese, pickled onions and a piece of toast. If you've never heard of this pie here's a little history on it :).
http://mmppa.co.uk/?page_id=14

Annette

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse, but back to the Stouffers lasagna: I make a great lasagna, but not very often. Here, the Stouffers cost 2.50 at bigmart for the single serving, but 3.00 for a large, nearly double the single serve size, so one can be split for two people, and with a salad makes a tasty meal.
And @bobm, that potato thing you describe sounds delicious. I may have to try that.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse, but back to the Stouffers lasagna: I make a great lasagna, but not very often. Here, the Stouffers cost 2.50 at bigmart for the single serving, but 3.00 for a large, nearly double the single serve size, so one can be split for two people, and with a salad makes a tasty meal.
And @bobm, that potato thing you describe sounds delicious. I may have to try that.
@so lucky ... my wife made leftover Kugelis for breakfast this morning ... sliced the leftover Kugelis in 1/3" slices , then heated and browned the 2 sides in rendered bacon fat from 6 slices of bacon untill golden brown, then fried some eggs. She topped the Kugelis in blueberry jam ( home grown by me, then processed into jam by my wife ) . :drool:drool F A B U L O U S :drool:drool breakfast fare. :celebrate If you do not try it, you will never know what you have missed in your life. :hit

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bob your wife must be feeling better if cooking :clap:clap:clap
All that she did was very minor cooking... she placed 6 slices of bacon into a skillet, when done removed them onto a paper towel to absorb the fat. next, she sliced 3 pieces of 1/3" thick of Kugelis, placed them into the bacon fat and browned both sides until golden brown. Next, she fied 3 cackleberries. Then she topped the Kugelis with her home made blueberry jam. We both had a breakfast that was simply fabulous. :drool :drool Note: no one had food poisoning, no fire department had to be called, no emergency trip by ambulence to the hospital was needed... just a very satisfying meal. My wife will finish her radiation treatments this week. She still has quite a bit of pain at the surgery sites but it is getting better. :)
Thank you for asking @Nyboy ! :cool:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All that she did was very minor cooking... she placed 6 slices of bacon into a skillet, when done removed them onto a paper towel to absorb the fat. next, she sliced 3 pieces of 1/3" thick of Kugelis, placed them into the bacon fat and browned both sides until golden brown. Next, she fied 3 cackleberries. Then she topped the Kugelis with her home made blueberry jam. We both had a breakfast that was simply fabulous. :drool :drool Note: no one had food poisoning, no fire department had to be called, no emergency trip by ambulence to the hospital was needed... just a very satisfying meal. My wife will finish her radiation treatments this week. She still has quite a bit of pain at the surgery sites but it is getting better. :)
Thank you for asking @Nyboy ! :cool:

Woo Hoo, so glad to hear things are improving :thumbsup :thumbsup.

Annette

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your wife is a very special lady, we don't even know her, but we all love her and wish her a full recovery. @bobm you are a very caring husband and great care giver. :thumbsup

Latest posts