When Do You Eat Salad ?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm ...

What do you suppose that it would be like to raise chickens ... I mean ... children in a different culture than our own?

It happens anyway, through aging. "The kids" are of different generations. After awhile, you realize that several of those have grown up, while you weren't looking ..! Now, your GenX children have raised Millennial kids who are everywhere at play, at work, establishing homes and habits of their own ..! Meanwhile, there are all these iGen babies running around!

We could stomp our feet, run off to our corners, pout. I can't think of a much less appealing picture than an olde person pouting. I mean, you want to criticize a Millennial? I try to just shake it off ... still imagining that it will leave a bruise. "Those iGen kids are gonna pay attention to me and we're teaming up, against you! You'll know what for, sure enuf!"

:old Here's a little fun, a US GenX couple moved to Britain. Their Millennials have grown up there and are returning home on breaks from college. They gather at the family table: "Cutlery should not be made from more than one thing."

:D Steve

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love salad! But I have mine for lunch, and only on days that I am not hauling lunch to work.
DH does not like salad, so I don't bother at dinner time. He's usually the one cooking, too, since he is retired.

When I am home, we make our own lunches. I have my salad (along with a bunch of other stuff) and DH has peanut butter and homemade jam, every single day, always at noon, sharp, followed by his nap!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love fruit salad, I buy large containers when ever it looks fresh at supermarket. Many times I buy fruit with idea of making salad, always ends up growing fur in fridge.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Quite often if supper or dinner is going to be late I take hubby a salad to wherever he's sitting and I pick at mine while preparing dinner.
As to table etiquette, even from an early age the table was set with all the cutlery in proper order at my gran's, you worked your way in from the outside pieces. I remember having salt cells with tiny spoons and linen napkins in silver napkin rings, everything was quite formal. She had special cutlery if we were having fish, silver knife blades with bone handles and these had to be treated with special care when washing up.

It's a good job my grandmother isn't here to see how I turned out :smack

Eating chips (fries to you guys) with my fingers and not sitting at the table eating a meal properly. In gardening season if I happen to be on my own it's grab something from the fridge and eat it hanging over the kitchen sink in case I slop or, back out in the garden munching a hastily thrown together salad or whatever else I managed to find that's still edible. Please tell me I'm not alone :(.

Some mornings, I come in to make lunch and find I'm still in my PJ's (have a 6ft. fence around our back yard) and when I run out of coffee mugs and side plates it's time to do another run through the garden.

Napkins are usually a piece of paper towel if you are having something messy, greasy or finger food. All I can say is if I ever get stuck in this kind of situation I still know which fork to use ;).
See I did manage to stay on topic this time I mentioned salad twice :lol:.

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Please tell me I'm not alone :(.

You aren't alone, Annette ;).

My summer "salad" is often a cucumber, eaten in the pickup on the way home from the garden. Now, a melon -- I have to eat those in the garden since they are so messy. Hey, if I sprinkle the cucumber with salt and the cantaloupe with black pepper, they would count as salads, right?

Steve

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Annette do you have your grandmothers china and silver ?

Not anymore, I've passed or maybe I should say flogged it off on our kids, polishing silver is not my thing. My mother's silver tea service has also been passed along. I'm more into stainless flatware and Corelle these days :).

When I was younger I used to do the dinner party thing, good china and all, I had an 8 piece Royal Albert, 'Val Dor' dinner service, DS#2 has that now, he's a chef and likes to do it up once in awhile. DD has my mothers silverware. I think I still have some pretty fancy chargers stuffed away in a cupboard..... note to self...see if I can root them out and flog those off too.
I really like the plain white Corelle (open stock) which the local supermarket here carries, break a piece, buy a replacement. I've even bounced that off the floor without breaking it, now that we have tile it might not fare so well :(.

What I do have are some very nice place mats in different materials and colors which I can pull out if forced to, with napkins to match, even some cute napkin rings. Plain white Corelle looks very nice on all of them. A Caesar salad on a white Corelle plate sitting on a burgundy place mat can look quite elegant.
I'd rather spend my money on the garden, my favorite Christmas present from DH is the stainless steel rabbiting spade he bought me one year. I wouldn't balk at a load of manure or compost (black gold) for a present either.

Annette

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wouldn't balk at a load of manure or compost (black gold) for a present either.
When I got married the school staff wanted to go in on a gift and asked what we needed. After living without running water for six years, we had just had a well drilled. We asked for a gift certificate to the local plumbing store so we could buy a toilet! Best wedding gift ever.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Annette, you have me for company too! ;) Dinner I eat from a tray while watching t.v. in my bedroom. :hide If I'm having an orange for a snack, I usually eat it over the sink so as not to drip. I also use paper towels for napkins and tissues sometimes, haha.

Mary

Latest posts