When Do You Eat Salad ?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to eat my salad while lying down in bed, reading a good book. It's my favorite way to eat our salads, as they can be a little messy to eat, so I like to have my face hanging over the bowl. :D

We'll eat breakfast at the table at times, and if the family comes over, we'll eat at the table, but mostly it's just Mom and I eating wherever we land, whenever we want and whatever we want to eat at the time. I LOVE our life! :love

Oh...and our mainstay "china" is foam plates and plastic Solo cups. ;) For company we'll haul out the real stuff, but mostly we will use the not so environmentally friendly throw aways.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The plate thing reminds me of something from my childhood. Back then, if I ever ate at another persons house, I would always assume that they must have gotten the good china out for me (and was embarrassed that they had gone to the trouble) because I thought only GOOD china was white. Our day to day dishes were (and still are) Italia Arabica ware, which is black speckled brown. So that is what I thought was normal.

Those bowls also gave me another problem later on. There is a gelateria in Philadelphia called Cappogiro, which makes an ultra rich chocolate gelato called Ciccolato Scuro (it's functionally frozen truffle insides; it's so thick that 1. you can let if melt down re freeze it, and the texture won't change and 2. it actually smears when you wipe it, not flows.)

The problem I had of course, was that since the gelato was such a dark brown and the bowl I was eating it out of was dark brown too, it made it hard to tell when the bowl was actually clean when washing (that "smear" thing meant you actually had to scrub the bowl to clean it, not just run some water and soap and dry. And the washing machine could bake it on if you hadn't scrubbed off enough of it first.)

As for day to day, I'll eat out of the manufacturers/storage container if I'm going to eat everything out of it, (or if I'm the only one who is going to eat out of it) Otherwise I tend to use these big oval plates from Corning which are good and bad (good in that they are quick to cool from a microwave, easy to clean and large, bad in that, being technically glass, they become a deadly mass of razor sharp shards when they shatter.)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything in my house is eaten off a plate ( they caught crumbs which attract bugs and mice) My nephew and a new girl friend came over with Mcdonalds, when I handed her a plate she said she needed need one, I said I not going to make you wash it. When I turned my back I heard my nephew say the dogs eat their biscuits on a plate here. My uncle strange

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have heard that about corelle/corning ware, that they shatter. And become weakened by repeated drops or whacks, and then can shatter (actually, explode) with no warning.
Mine is old and beginning to get rough places on the edges of the bowls. I should throw it all out and get new. I wonder if they would make good targets? Naw, probably too hard to clean up.o_O

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My nephew dropped a box of my grandmother's china down a flight of steps. Every single piece broke, I have been saving the pieces to do some type of mosaic project, been 4 years I don't know who I am kidding.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have heard that about corelle/corning ware, that they shatter. And become weakened by repeated drops or whacks, and then can shatter (actually, explode) with no warning.
Mine is old and beginning to get rough places on the edges of the bowls. I should throw it all out and get new. I wonder if they would make good targets? Naw, probably too hard to clean up.o_O

Our worst experience was the time the wire rack we used to keep them on went, causing ALL of the Corelle to hit the floor and shatter (well it all hit the floor, only about half shattered but that was still a good six or seven plates worth of glass to sweep up, spread over an entire kitchen.)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our worst experience was the time the wire rack we used to keep them on went, causing ALL of the Corelle to hit the floor and shatter (well it all hit the floor, only about half shattered but that was still a good six or seven plates worth of glass to sweep up, spread over an entire kitchen.)
What a ness! We have a tile floor now, everything that is dropped breaks! That Corelle really shatters.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to use plastic mesh scouring pads for washing dishes.

"Just put it in the machine," you think? DW has no appreciation for a dishwasher. When she came to live with me, I finally gave up using the machine after seeing her re-washing, again and again! After it sat unused for about 3 years - it would no longer work.

She is a little strange about some of these things, beyond that long-ago, abandoned dishwasher. She's cleaning the bathroom right now. I just stay outta the way! I bet she is employing 4 different spray-on products in there! That's out of 8 or 9 bottles under that sink. There is an equal number of pads and brushes under there!

Anyway, FOOD: beets, blueberries, huckleberries etc. can cover a bowl with a easily seen film. Getting it off doesn't take hard scrubbing, it just takes numerous passes with the pad ... around & around. Actually, it is probably better to use one of the 5 other "tools" DW has beside the kitchen sink (I counted). But, what it points to is that other food films, that are not as easily seen, probably stick to our bowls and plates just as easily. We may be rendering them somewhat sterile using whatever method employed but the film is still there.

I've been doing a little reading about cheddar cheese and Bifidobacterium lactis. Probiotics are in the news like crazy, lately! My question, what's already in our food and bodies? It's kind of interesting that what I was reading indicated that there was little difference from what is normally in our bodies - maybe because of eating cheese ;) - and these supplements. At least, that seemed to be what one university study was telling us about their lives and affections ;). So! Sprinkle a little cheese in that salad bowl!!

:D Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My nephew dropped a box of my grandmother's china down a flight of steps. Every single piece broke, I have been saving the pieces to do some type of mosaic project, been 4 years I don't know who I am kidding.

Just Google for ideas, then hire it out. It is not a hard DIY project at all. You could do a bird bath, garden stepping stones, a mosaic back splash in the kitchen or bathroom, a patio table, an art piece for the wall...anything you can imagine.

Latest posts