Where do you buy your seeds?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Punkin, I just peel them off the northern tier . . . but, that shouldn't surprise you. I feel safer that way given my location and if they don't have what works for me, I get royally miffed :p!

I really started out with most of my seeds coming from Jung's in Wisconsin. Later, it was Stokes in New York/Ontario. Later yet, most things came from Johnny's in Maine. Last year, I noticed that my largest order was back at Stokes :rolleyes:.

Obviously, they aren't just trying to appeal to growers in their own particular area. A company with a fine, wide selection like Parks in South Carolina or Thompson & Morgan in Great Britian could cover the world!! (Sorry, I got a little excited :lol:!)

Did you know you have a seed company right there in your neck of the woods? Don't know very much about them but maybe you should check out: Willhite Seed Company in Poolville Texas.

Here's wishing you the Best of Luck!

Steve

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Punkin, I just peel them off the northern tier . . . but, that shouldn't surprise you. I feel safer that way given my location and if they don't have what works for me, I get royally miffed :p!

I really started out with most of my seeds coming from Jung's in Wisconsin. Later, it was Stokes in New York/Ontario. Later yet, most things came from Johnny's in Maine. Last year, I noticed that my largest order was back at Stokes :rolleyes:.

Obviously, they aren't just trying to appeal to growers in their own particular area. A company with a fine, wide selection like Parks in South Carolina or Thompson & Morgan in Great Britian could cover the world!! (Sorry, I got a little excited :lol:!)

Did you know you have a seed company right there in your neck of the woods? Don't know very much about them but maybe you should check out: Willhite Seed Company in Poolville Texas.

Here's wishing you the Best of Luck!

Steve
Thanks, Steve. I'll check them out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, think about this tomato that Whillhite offers:
Porter
78 days. Porter is an old-time drought-tolerant favorite in the Southwest. Small, smooth, plum shaped, dark pink, large open vigourous vines. Interdeterminate type. Home and market.
You can find that variety elsewhere, as well.

It's a fine little tomato and Porters, in Texas, was one of the original seed companies in the US. They were right there on the cutting edge of research about 100 years ago and that farm was where Cooperative Extension began here in the US of A, if'n I remember right :).

Steve

edited because I'm just hopeless: Porter Farm/Cooperative Extension, Terrell, TX (bottom of the page)

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I agree with Steve. If you have a seed company in your area, that would be the place to go.

I buy my seeds from Territorial because their trial grounds are very similar to my gardening conditions. When they describe how a certain variety performs for them, it will most likely be the same for me.

If I was looking at a catalog where the veggies were trialed down south, I could bet I wouldn't get the same results.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The last few purchases have been through Bakers Creek. They are really nice and have such a great catelog.

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
tinychicken said:
I agree with Steve. If you have a seed company in your area, that would be the place to go.

I buy my seeds from Territorial because their trial grounds are very similar to my gardening conditions. When they describe how a certain variety performs for them, it will most likely be the same for me.

If I was looking at a catalog where the veggies were trialed down south, I could bet I wouldn't get the same results.
This is a very good point. I have issues with high summer heat and very uneven rain, lots in the spring and little in the summer. I like to look for where the heirloom varieties originated from when I select seed and see if their weather patterns are similar to mine. I suggest making sure the catalogs you select give you this information or else you will have to do some research. By the way I just ordered seeds a few moments ago, hopefully next year I save more seeds.

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am interested in this too. I have bad luck with Pinetree last year, and I don't know if it is normal with them or not. I am not using them again though. I am planning to get some from Gurneys and Henry Fields, but I am looking more for heirloom seeds. I think I will try Bakers Creek, even though they seem to be a little bit more.

They have the most beautiful catalog I have ever seen!

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh, and Seeds of Change is organic, and a kindof expensive, but they are closer to you, they are based in New Mexico.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've had good experiences with Territorial in the past. We decided to start going entirely heirloom since we are learning to collect and save our own seed, so this past year we tried Heirloom Acres. It was getting into late spring and most places were sold out for the season, but they had a nice vegetable kit, so we tried it. I don't know if it's their seed or what, but almost nothing would even sprout. I planted lettuce six or so times and got not a single plant.

Latest posts