Where Does Your Dog Sleep?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Have you considered "crate training" the cats? When my male (not neutered) cat brought in a near death kitten last April/May, we put him in the biggest dog crate we own, with some towels, a litter box, food & water in dishes and a blanket on top, and kept him in there for 2 months under the kitchen table. (It's one of those tall tables, with three tall chairs, against the wall. He got better in a few days, and didn't mind his safe space. DD's took him to their new house, and he will be 1yo next month. He had no trouble traveling in the cat crate and has perfect litter habits.
I also shut my cats in the basement when a repairman is here, and I even put my male cat in the pantry in the basement when I have my Salsa Party. He doesn't do well with strangers, and I find him two days later, used litter box, sitting on the cat mat where I left him.
They CAN be trained. You gotta get past the silly cat people who think it is charming that their cat misbehaves. I love my cats, but I don't like a disobedient one.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amen. Belligerent animals don't last around here. I like a peaceful sleep, peaceful home, peaceful animals, peaceful land. Not worth it to me to keep an animal that upsets any of that.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
cane put a scat mat on floor in front of bedroom door. I used one to teach cat couch off limits.

oh.... I can just see that now...
4AM, the alarm goes off - 4:02 I'm directing some very ugly thoughts (and a few words I haven't used in a long time) in your direction after I walk across the mat...:rant

Really, it's not THAT big of a deal. Fighting with them over it gets me so mad that I can't sleep anyway - and I desperately need what little sleep I get. It's not a battle that I choose to fight.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We once had a cat that slept with our daughter. She was 9 and wanted a mini-dachshund for her birthday. We didn't make her wait until her birthday, we found one right away. A little red female that she named Barkley. The first night, DD made Barkley a bed on the floor in her room. She woke up the next morning with Barkley on her pillow. It was an antique bed, pretty high off the floor. We finally figured out how Barkley got in the bed. There was a chair at the foot of the bed, climbing into the seat of the chair must have been a stretch for the tiny puppy, then she got on the arm, then climbed on the back of the chair, on to the bed--VICTORY! We were charmed with the new addition to the family.

Now-back to the cat.......seeing an usurper cozied in HIS bed really upset the cat. And when he got upset, he got even. Evil cat. DD woke up the next night, something was not right.....the cat was crouched on her feet, on top of the covers, and PEEING on her!! The cat then went on to poop in DD's bean bag chair, plus anything that belonged to her. Cat got thrown out of the house.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cee Cee will quietly stare until I wake up unless she REALLY needs to go out. Then she will nose my arm, foot, cheek -- whatever is bare and reachable. I've learned that I'd better pay attention to that nose. Let her out or regret it.

Latest posts