Where Does Your Dog Sleep?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who ever had my Cee Cee before she was picked up as a stray did a great job of training her. She's NEVER tried getting up onto furniture or beds. She's never even jumped on someone in excitement.

She barks, tail-wags, and noses her way to the center of attention, but so politely. I certainly got lucky with my shelter dog.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a wonderful thing! Makes one wonder how such a good dog winds up at a shelter. I've had two of the best behaved dogs ever to come from shelters and I always wonder who in the world took the time to train these nice, beautiful, intelligent and loyal dogs and then gave them away.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe the owners passed away....
I just saw a beautiful Pyrenees male on CL being rehomed. He's 12 and his owner passed away, so her friend is looking for a nice home for him. He's a working dog, had goats and chickens at his home to protect. He's described as a total sweetheart with people too. If I had the room and time, I would have loved to give him a home here. I hope he finds the perfect place.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dogs aren't usually stupid. Then, it's probably just a "homonal thing." They can be appreciative even if it's just a, "thank you, bye!" And, dogs sometimes go a little nutz if they get in unfamiliar territory. We like stories about lost dogs returning home but they can truly get lost!

I'm thinking Penny was someone's first dog when off on his/her own.

Unrealistic expectations are something which allows anyone to get in trouble. "She's so sweet; how could she be any trouble? She will be fine staying in the house while we are gone."

Then it's: "She gets on the furniture! She sheds! She won't stop pulling when we go for a walk!"

You can't blame dogs for being neglected any more than you can blame them for getting lost.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I had a BIG rottie mix and a boxer, they slept in the bed with me.
Somehow, as those dogs passed away and others were added in, it has changed to 'they have their bed and I have mine'. EVERYONE sleeps in my room. The dogs on their bed under the window and the cats playing 'petris' around me on the bed. I'd rather they didn't sleep on the bed but I can't figure out how to get around it. If I shut them out, they reach under the door and bang it against the frame until I let them in. If I push them off - over and over - they will just sit and wait for me to get still... then UP they come.
It's just not worth the lost sleep to fight with them over it.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
He passed and I met my wife and she let her Golden Retriever in the bed. A queen bed plus us was still a tight fit. So when we got our current Golden who was 9weeks (my profile picture) we instituted the "feet on the floor policy" which has been great. He stays off the couch, chairs, and the beds. Crate doors always open and he has run of the house but 99.9% of the time he's sleeping in the bedroom with us either on the floor at the end of the bed or on the floor at my side of the bed.

Feet on the floor is a good policy. Especially when you have kids and dogs together. It helps establish your dominance over the dog just as they would claim the best bedding spot in a pack and with some dogs this can be a really big deal. My sister had a 5lb. chihuahua that was an absolute terror. Man, I hated that dog. He would sit on the back of the couch behind you and growl, just daring you to take his seat. I took him down a few notches by taking a pillow and whacking him off. A dog in the bed sees you as his equal. Still, I'd enjoy a doggie cuddle every once in awhile or when I'm sad...they're very comforting! And it is hard to fight the urge to spoil them. :rolleyes:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sort of in response to Steve's comment about why dogs end up in shelters: I'm pretty sure Penny was expected to be a rabbit dog, or some kind of hunting dog. What ever is done with beagles. But she cowers at the sight of a gun! DH can bring a pellet gun out to scare away birds, or put a rifle on the table to clean, and Penny hides, usually behind me, haha!
I hate to think what transpired back then. Loud noises in themselves don't rattle her much, but the sight of a gun makes her really scared. :idunno

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a dog that was afraid of a gun.

She wasn't a hunting dog. I scared the bejeebers outta her once by shooting a coyote with her standing near me. There was no going anywhere close me when I had a gun after that.

She reformed me ... but, I nearly always require something like that.

Steve

Latest posts