Where to get non Monsanto ONION PLANTS from.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maybe it's the soil where I was living until last year, but I've always done onions from seed. Put seeds in ground. Water. Wait. Eat onions. It really was not hard.... not even kinda.

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:
Maybe it's the soil where I was living until last year, but I've always done onions from seed. Put seeds in ground. Water. Wait. Eat onions. It really was not hard.... not even kinda.
I have never tried, but have read they are difficult, I'm not taking any chances. I did however purchase seed packets from fedco and will try my hand at them. I will order plants for a back up. If they all end up growing they won't go to waste. My sons love homemade french onion soup. I use LOTS of onions in a year.

I hope it is as easy as put seeds in ground, water, wait and eat onions :idunno That is how my small table onions work but I want the large softball sized ones this year.

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow, I just ordered my onion plants from dixondale farms and I have to say that was the easiest ordering process I have ever had with ANY seed company. They didn't even charge me shipping and I got 15 dozen plants for under 27.00. Yippee!!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
r4eboxer said:
Wow, I just ordered my onion plants from dixondale farms and I have to say that was the easiest ordering process I have ever had with ANY seed company. They didn't even charge me shipping and I got 15 dozen plants for under 27.00. Yippee!!
I know Im late on this post but at Burlin Seeds you can get onion plants at,
50-70 $5.75
100-140 $9.50
150-210 $13.75
200-280 $16.00
250-350 $18.25
300-420 $21.00

They carry Big Daddy, Candy, Copra, Red Candy Apple, Red Zeppelin, and Super Star

There Onion sets run
$2.65 1/2 lb
$3.75 for a lb
28.00 for 10 lbs

They dont do internet sell but there number in 1-877-464-0892

Chris

Waylon05

Leafing Out
Reaction score
r4eboxer said:
I had the same experience as you - placing the order was very easy and I received my order very quickly. Also, when the plants showed up, I found that I received WAY more than 60 plants per "bunch."

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Waylon05 said:
r4eboxer said:
I had the same experience as you - placing the order was very easy and I received my order very quickly. Also, when the plants showed up, I found that I received WAY more than 60 plants per "bunch."
They are a great company, I plan to use them more often. I have to say that my order for seeds from Fedco was a day long affair. But dixondale farms was a breeze! I do like fedco too, the catalog gives a lot of great information, but the ordering process needs some tweeking.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
here's something i found that might be of interest on different onion varieties and their background of where/when they were produced.

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/vegcult/onional.html for the A-L cultivarshttp://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/vegcult/onionmz.html for the M-Z cultivars
Wow! I can't believe how many different varieties of onions there are! Thanks for sharing this.

Latest posts