Wide variance in basil.

YourRabbitGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Out of 30 seeds the cheapo clearance "Grow Your Own Basil" (Genovese) produced 4 and 2 and looking ok. I drowned the others, but these two are doing well on top of the fridge under a grow light. I bought some Opal and have a lot of tiny seedings growing in another pot there with a baggie tent. We will see how many of these make it outside in May. I think they are afraid of winter.

YourRabbitGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
i don't soak them that long, i just want to make sure the whole root and pot is wet all the way through.
I actually used a lot of lternatives. its actually more efficient.. using the same colour paint.. even of they are not formal on the soze department. the colour seems to do the trick.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I need to start a 2020 gardening journal this long weekend. I planted a bunch of opal basil in 2 pots with baggie canopies. Can't count all of them, but they are a mass. I moved a heating mat underneath them, and they are under a grow light on top of the fridge. One nice thing, they are warm and the soil keeps drying out. The other 2 surviving Genovese basil and doing very well on top of the heat mat, too. I am SOOOOO tempted to buy another heated mat, but full price nauseates me. We'll see if I can hold off.
What did I get for Valentine's Day? A scaffolding. Looks like this: