Wide variance in basil.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Out of 30 seeds the cheapo clearance "Grow Your Own Basil" (Genovese) produced 4 and 2 and looking ok. I drowned the others, but these two are doing well on top of the fridge under a grow light. I bought some Opal and have a lot of tiny seedings growing in another pot there with a baggie tent. We will see how many of these make it outside in May. I think they are afraid of winter.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i don't soak them that long, i just want to make sure the whole root and pot is wet all the way through.
I actually used a lot of lternatives. its actually more efficient.. using the same colour paint.. even of they are not formal on the soze department. the colour seems to do the trick.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need to start a 2020 gardening journal this long weekend. I planted a bunch of opal basil in 2 pots with baggie canopies. Can't count all of them, but they are a mass. I moved a heating mat underneath them, and they are under a grow light on top of the fridge. One nice thing, they are warm and the soil keeps drying out. The other 2 surviving Genovese basil and doing very well on top of the heat mat, too. I am SOOOOO tempted to buy another heated mat, but full price nauseates me. We'll see if I can hold off.
What did I get for Valentine's Day? A scaffolding. Looks like this:

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That looks like a great variant. i bet it'll taste great.. lucky you 😁😁😁
While basil is a commonly grown herb outdoors, this easy-care plant can also be grown indoors. In fact, you can grow basil inside much the same as you would in the garden. This wonderfully fragrant herb can be grown for use in the kitchen, making aromatic oils, or simply for aesthetic purposes.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I disagree about "easy to grow." The basil I have started from seed didn't do well until they got big enough that I didn't drown out their roots AND when I put them on a heat mat. If your house is really cool, like mine in the winter, basil will just sit there and die on you. This is 3rd time I have to tried to grow it from seed and the first success.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I disagree about "easy to grow." The basil I have started from seed didn't do well until they got big enough that I didn't drown out their roots AND when I put them on a heat mat. If your house is really cool, like mine in the winter, basil will just sit there and die on you. This is 3rd time I have to tried to grow it from seed and the first success.
I always find it interesting what is easy or hard for one person and not another..... For me, zucchini as stink bugs get it

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, those aren't stink bugs, they are squash bugs. Same family and a real pain.

In Northwest Arkansas basil was about as easy as it got. If I let it go to seed I'd get volunteers the next spring. I grew the large leaf Italian styles. I remember @digitS' acting surprised when I told him it volunteered for me. I did not start it indoors but sprinkled the seeds in a certain small area in the garden and transplanted from that. As I remember basil is one of those seeds that needs light to germinate so I'd sprinkle the seeds and gently pat the ground firm, not stir it up like I normally do when planting small seeds.

Now Rosemary! I saw some huge bushes in the county but I just could not get that stuff to grow from transplants. It might live a couple of years but it would not grow. I tried it several different different places.