Wide variance in basil.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is true! We all have used them, but there are alternatives, even planting in plastic and then removing. If you ever have trouble removing a plant that is root bound from a permanent pot, fill a bucket with water deeper than the pot, and submerge it for an hour. I guarantee the plant will come out easily.
I love peat pots for things like squash seedlings. The pot needs to be buried or the top edge torn off. Otherwise It will wick moisture out into the air.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is true! We all have used them, but there are alternatives, even planting in plastic and then removing. If you ever have trouble removing a plant that is root bound from a permanent pot, fill a bucket with water deeper than the pot, and submerge it for an hour. I guarantee the plant will come out easily.

I am so trying this. I've killed a number of cucumbers because the root ball tears in half.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so trying this. I've killed a number of cucumbers because the root ball tears in half.

the really thin plastic pots that a lot of greenhouses use you might be able to just press on the bottom to get them to pop out. i soak them first to make sure the root ball is completely wetted, put my hand over the plant with the stem coming between my fingers and then i turn it over and the plant usually falls out or i can press it out.

another approach may be to cut them with scissors down the side - i've not ever had to do that.

pondering... hmm, at times roots are growing through those slots or holes on the bottom (perhaps that can be the issue with them getting stuck?) yet i pull the roots off anyways and then the plants fall out or can be pushed out - the plants will have to adjust a bit anyways to their new location so a few less roots aren't too likely going to make that much of a difference.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
EVERYBODY who gardens should own 2 painter's buckets. This is what they look like, and you can find the cheaper, <$4.00, at any farm supply store.
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...V0MDACh2h2QPnEAQYASABEgKSc_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
They are very lightweight. I use them to tote water for my horses and chickens 365 days/year. I also carry compost in them and they are great for soaking to coax plants out of their pots.
When you soak, give it a good hour, even soak Friday night to remove Saturday morning.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
EVERYBODY who gardens should own 2 painter's buckets. This is what they look like, and you can find the cheaper, <$4.00, at any farm supply store.
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...V0MDACh2h2QPnEAQYASABEgKSc_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
They are very lightweight. I use them to tote water for my horses and chickens 365 days/year. I also carry compost in them and they are great for soaking to coax plants out of their pots.
When you soak, give it a good hour, even soak Friday night to remove Saturday morning.

i don't soak them that long, i just want to make sure the whole root and pot is wet all the way through.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

I get mine free at a bakery inside a grocery store, part of a local chain. Sometimes you can get them from deli's.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some species respond very poorly to root disturbance, some respond with vigorous growth.

I don't know about basil but act as though it doesn't like to be disturbed. No butterflying of the root mass ... The vining crops are treated in the same way. I've only transplanted things like cucumbers and melons for about 6 years. I'd like those things to just plop outta their containers into my hand.

Giving transplants a good watering before they must be moved out of their containers provides some dehydration insurance.

Watering things in after transplanting isn't always easy in our big garden. Today, we progressed beyond the reach of the field sprinklers. Many transplants won't have water until tomorrow. The soil is only a little moist but the tomatoes and peppers were thoroughly wet before they went in.

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
the really thin plastic pots that a lot of greenhouses use you might be able to just press on the bottom to get them to pop out. i soak them first to make sure the root ball is completely wetted, put my hand over the plant with the stem coming between my fingers and then i turn it over and the plant usually falls out or i can press it out.

another approach may be to cut them with scissors down the side - i've not ever had to do that.

pondering... hmm, at times roots are growing through those slots or holes on the bottom (perhaps that can be the issue with them getting stuck?) yet i pull the roots off anyways and then the plants fall out or can be pushed out - the plants will have to adjust a bit anyways to their new location so a few less roots aren't too likely going to make that much of a difference.

These were actually in felt bags. I've no idea why they didn't come out easily.

Latest posts