Widely Adaptable

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
or, is this place just like Alabama??

DSC01023.JPG

The dark green cucumbers are Talladega. I assume they are named for the community in Alabama. This is the second year for Talladega and I'm very pleased with them. They have done just super well.

The lemon cukes didn't miss a beat this year. On a bad year ... change that ... after a bad spring, I have had to wait as late as September for the set-back vines to produce.

Two Munchers are in the near corner. They are Beit Alpha cukes and might be my favorite but I haven't eaten one in about 8 months! I haven't thought of Muncher as "late" but they are certainly later than Talladega.

Steve :)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great looking harvest! We have had no luck growing cucs here, but that haul will make me keep trying.
Looks delish!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any Idea why cucumbers get bitter? Mine were fine one day; two days later, a fresh one out of the garden was too bitter to eat. They have had plenty of water. I know sometimes the ends are bitter, but this whole cuke was ....yucky!
I've been feeding the big ones to the chickens.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
First guess would have been the soil moisture ...
Okay, guess again: age?

I do my best to get them as soon as they fill out. I'd rather get them off the vines than leave them. Seeds would be expected as an indication. I know what you mean by bitter cukes but I have little experience with bitterness. They may like wet gravel.

It looks like the University of New Hampshire's Passport melons are coming through for me :)! New Hampshire for melons, Alabama for cucumbers.

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Impressive harvest Steve! I'm impressed with the uniformity of them too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Melons will sometimes die in my garden during our too cool springs. Here is Blacktail Mountain watermelon:

Yeah, there in the green circle, my only fruit on 9 plants! Think it will ripen?? I am so disappointed in these!

Sugar Baby watermelon will sometimes do okay. First season I bought Blacktail Mountain seed, not a single one germinated in the greenhouse. That experience is ridiculous in itself!

I can almost see Blacktail Mountain. The person who bred this variety lived in northern Idaho during those years. Well, there's a Blacktail Mountain near Pend Oreille Lake. I mean, it isn't 40 miles from my garden, as the crow flies.

@Chickie'sMomaInNH was growing Blacktail Mountain this year. I wonder how that's going ..? Chicke'sMoma, you send me your UNH Passport melons and you can have the Blacktail Mountain!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh!

Here are a couple of this season's Passport melons:

ffrrommm the University of New Hampshire!

:) Steve

Reactions: Hal

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will you forgive me if I say your Passports are really trippy?

Oh! just dodged a green tomato!

What I meant to say, is, wow, those are some really good looking melons Steve!

I had the same result from my Blacktails. I haven't grown them for a few years, but I was so excited about them and really wanted them to succeed.

I blamed myself. I did get fruit, but it was very small and didn't ripen before the weather turned, so the chickens got the few that the vines produced. So, maybe it really wasn't my fault!?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are very impressive melons Steve. You don't know how I wished I could grow cantelopes, watermelons, nectarines, etc. etc.

Mary

Latest posts