Wine not? A great way to enjoy your produce

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Camden kills the microbes in the prewine. You add it before you add the yeast just to make sure the only microbe growing is your intended yeast. It will kill your yeast too, so you have to add it 24-48 hours before adding the yeast. It isn't ness. to make wine, it just makes more sure you won't get a bad batch from latent microbes.

Your dandelion wine you boiled the prewine making it less likely to have any extra microbes in it, so it didn't actually need the Camden.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So far what I've done to my tomato wine is chopped the tomatoes, boiled de-pithed orange skins added sugar, cut up 3 bananas, and 2 oranges. I am going to let that set for 2-3 days in the fridge to let the flavors meld and then I will strain. Add the raisins to the strained pulp, add more water and sugar and heat then strain that liquid. All this is just trying to get the most flavor infused into the liquid to make the wine. Some of this comes from a couple of recipies combined and my thinking.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, thanks for asking about the camden tablet. I was too shy to ask. But since I'm being bold I have a question I'll ask. Do you get just as tipsy from homemade wine as the regular wine?

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary I am not much of a drinker, so don't really drink enough at one time to get tipsy. Last year I made blueberry cordial and I just drink a short snort. :lol: I made the dandelion wine because the challenge was there. It is pretty good, even to my un-wined taste buds. :drool

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bay, thanks for asking about the camden tablet. I was too shy to ask. But since I'm being bold I have a question I'll ask. Do you get just as tipsy from homemade wine as the regular wine?

Mary
It is wine most wines have very similar ETOH levels so yes, basically it would take the same amount of home made wine to make you tipsy as a store bought wine. There is a gadget you can get to measure the ETOH content more precisely and I would bet a way to tweek it a little higher or lower, but I don't know anything about that.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@ninnymary I am not much of a drinker, so don't really drink enough at one time to get tipsy. Last year I made blueberry cordial and I just drink a short snort. :lol: I made the dandelion wine because the challenge was there. It is pretty good, even to my un-wined taste buds. :drool
My tastebuds are pretty unsophisticated too when it comes to wine. I have had some of the pricier "good wine" and haven't liked it nearly as much as Riuniti or box wine.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well my prewine green tomato mixture has been melding, seeping, soaking and strained for a few days now (in an attempt to get every bit of flavor into the wine and out of the pulp) It is in the fermenter waiting for yeast which I will put in tonight. Gotta say it looks pretty unappealing right now, but I expected that, looks kinda like you mixed pea soup and some mud. I tasted it, and it actually tastes pretty good. Even though I strained (not through paper, just through colander) I can see it will take several rackings to clear, it has all kinds of particulates settling out. If I get a chance I'll take a pic tonight.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Most wines vary between 11-14% ETOH by volume. Would be interesting to see how this comes out

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well here it is, it is pretty ugly right now, but it should get better w/ time. I will replace the spicket w/ a balloon.

DSC_1163.JPG

Latest posts