Wine not? A great way to enjoy your produce

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol: I showed DH your picture of green tomato wine. He said he thought I was goofy with my dandelion wine, but you topped that! Then I told him how a bunch of your tomato plants died, loaded with green tomatoes and you found a recipe for green tomato wine. I read what you put in it, and then he decided it might be good. :drool

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The pre-wine surprised me w/ how good it really was, it looks like crap, but honestly tasted really good.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah that sounds like an interesting combo of fruits ... With green toms, banana, orange etc!! I will admit to loving all kinds of beer and wine, cheap, expensive, homemade or otherwise. I can give you my professional opinion if you ship me a sample!!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here it is while still fermenting

DSC_1164.JPG

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just finished the first racking of my green tomato wine, and I had to sample some of it (quality control) and OH MY it is going to be some goooood wine when it is finished. And those containers worked perfectly.

I am adding more sugar w/ this racking, about 2 cups more. It will re ferment then I will let it sit for a month or so undisturbed w/ an airtight lid and settle for it's next racking.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can see right now, if I am going to progress beyond dandelion petals and bread yeast, I gotta a loooooong way to go! Thanks for sharing the process with us @Kassaundra !!!!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can see right now, if I am going to progress beyond dandelion petals and bread yeast, I gotta a loooooong way to go! Thanks for sharing the process with us @Kassaundra !!!!
Racking is just letting the particulates settle to the bottom so you can separate the clearing wine from the sludge. When you start w/ fruit you almost always have some racking to do, and depending on how much particulates you have to separate will decide how many times you have to rack before you can bottle. This was pretty heavy w/ pulp / particulates so will likely require a few rackings before it will be clear enough to bottle. When you rack you can add more sugar to make your wine sweeter if you like sweet wine (which I do). If you add more sugar it will referment each time, if you don't then you are just allowing more settling to happen.

Latest posts