Winter doldrums...Jelly and Jam making time at my house

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight ,

Someday, we will tell you about @seedcorn 's .. " . heritage."

Besides the punctuation and capitalization rules for rants, there are forum requirements for putting anything suspect in quotation marks!

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey now, no giving away family secrets. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Now is the time of year, I make my jams and jellies, today it's Paradise Jelly, a mix of quince, apples and cranberries. I juice the fruit in season and then stick in the freezer until this time of year, this way I miss that sweating over the stove in the summer and early fall when I'm busy in the garden.
Do any of you hold off until the winter months to do this sort of thing?
OM Gosh!! I have yet to use my wine making kit, so that's exactly what I did with my grape harvest this year!! I thought I was the only one.
I know what you mean about sweating it out in the summer and wearing yourself out. The only jam I'm used to making in the dead of winter is orange marmelade because I wait until I buy a bag of really luscious oranges, and a bag of sweet Texas lemons and then only make about seven 1/2 pints of it.
Like I said on the resolutions blog, in 2016, I will do EVERYTHING that I can to give me back my horse riding time, which is why I moved to the country in the first place.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary
I've read through quite a few posts on here, my heart goes out to those that are going through such difficult times, but I have never chimed in as I would feel like an interloper in this great family you all have created.

Annette, I hope you'll feel comfortable to hop in wherever you like. We love to make new friends and I'm sure we'll learn a lot from your experiences. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight don't let them southerners fool you. They are evil. They love to post pix of their gardens while we tread snow. Start threads about the garden produce they are eating. Be warned. Now those of us in the north would never be so insensitive.

Latest posts