Winter Greens

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Along with these ...

Here they are :):
IMG_20151004_170318960.jpg

Included will be what is still in seed packets.

I won't be using the ground under that front little bench. It's too cold out there on the south side. The short concrete wall shades the ground and bringing in soil to raise the level won't help with moving the plants even closer to the outdoors.

Now, other work I might be avoiding is carrying out the big benches ;). They ain't light!
dsc00922-jpg.1521

earlier picture

I'll need commitment to those babies (and TEG babies :)) to not procrastinate. What's in the containers are not gonna be pushing me for weeks but inevitable freezing weather will cast my winter plans as driftwood, on the shore.

Steve

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks good. I am getting ready to work on projects today. I put in a bed in my greenhouse. I have been neglecting my gardening because of traveling a lot with the wedding this summer and then I started by to work in August. I am on break this week and trying to get ahead of it so that it will be easy to maintain. I am teaching science at our local Christian school and we have been growing veggies for several lessons so I have cabbage sprouted (these were my daughters plants) so they are moving into my garden. I took in a box and transplanted the lettuce and mustard greens and am hoping that we will actually get to eat that so I have to start those here on my own.

I am hoping to move eggplant into my greenhouse. I tried out straw bale gardening and planted two eggplants they are really thriving (finally) but haven't had a chance to produce fruit. I am hoping to move them into my greenhouse and then given them a chance to do what I want. LOL Do you think that is possible? I want really have to dig because they are growing in a straw bale. I think I can just lift them and set them into the bed I put in today.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really think so.

Eggplant is a perennial! Yeah. It can't take a frost but you should be able to protect them from that in your southern location.

I can't. Not without turning the furnace on. I think that I mostly keep these frost hardy greens from dehydrating in the cold. That seems to be enuf for them.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is the new picture from the renovation.

I can't keep them that way. Flats of wet potting soil have now sat on them for several, long months.

Soon, I will have to replace some of the 20 year old redwood boards of the greenhouse! I think I should take them one at a time. Damp in there and sunny!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greenhouse, October 20, 2015.JPG

Here they are, just a little perkier than when I put them in the greenhouse bed, yesterday.

At the far end, you see the flat still with lettuce plants ..! Okay, I put too much seed in the flat. What I will do is go ahead and see how they do in the narrow bed on the south side. They will be right under the plastic film and it's darn cool! As the sun drops closer to the horizon over the next 2 months, the shade from the foundation wall partially covers that bed. That foundation wall is shorter than the one for the north wall, in the picture. Still, that sun angle is unmercifully low ...

These bok choy and choy sum plants will be covered with pvc pipe hoops & plastic film but I just can't see doing that again for the narrow south bed. It cuts down more on the light and I certainly don't enjoy trying to move around in the winter greenhouse with it crammed with hoopies!

The morning fog has given away to sunshine. I'm fairly sure that there will be frost outdoors before the week is out - the afternoon highs are not reaching 70°f. Oh, and the plants I'd hoped to transplant in here from the garden... They are just too mature, many have been harvested and there will be more for the kitchen. I'm afraid they will use a move to the greenhouse as an excuse just to bolt to seed. My winter hopes and expectations rest with the babies in the picture.

:) Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been 30 days and I'll post a picture of the greens soon.

They have had quite a lot of sunshine even if the howling wind must have scared the wits outta them on a few occasions. It froze in the greenhouse this morning and my volunteer bean plant somehow survived!!

In honor of the bean ... here is its picture. It doesn't have a chance, poor thing. It also didn't grow much from this 11/1 picture.
IMG_20151101_145652154.jpg

You can see a couple of choy sum plants, 10 days after transplanting. I'm having choy sum for lunch here in a few minutes but that's from the garden ... by way of the refrigerator crisper drawer :).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay,

I went out and got today's picture. See the bean?
IMG_20151120_134503.jpg

I'd like to claim the volunteer weeds are just cilantro and dill but I only see one of those ;).

The bok choy isn't quite as big but you can see that my stir-fried veggies could have come from right here!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose I should have taken the Bean's picture from the same camera angle as the one earlier.

Anyway,

the low tunnel went over the bed, today. If it's down to 21° outdoors again tomorrow morning, Bean won't need to be quite as swaddled in there to survive.

Steve :)