Winter Splendor!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I went hiking today and brought back makings for an amazing winter salad! I found dandelion greens, miners lettuce, and rose hips. We made a vinegarette and put it on top! Oh boy! Yum!

Attachments

• IMG_20221120_172334460_640x480.jpg
    IMG_20221120_172334460_640x480.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 66

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We made some dandelion root tea ONCE, the tea was fine but at 4:00 am we were still lying on our backs staring at the ceiling! That was our only experience with it. The salad looks great, our rose hips didn’t do much this year.
My rabbits like both!
Scary! I've never made dandelion tea. I think I'll go ahead and skip it! Lol! The salad is yummy and causes us no side effects!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
We made some dandelion root tea ONCE, the tea was fine but at 4:00 am we were still lying on our backs staring at the ceiling! That was our only experience with it. The salad looks great, our rose hips didn’t do much this year.
My rabbits like both!
Sounds like something I should add to the morning coffee, to treat my Sagging Eyelid Syndrome. 😴 :D 😴 :D😴

But I'm really surprised to hear that dandelion root acted as a stimulant, @Alasgun , given that roasted chicory root is used as a de-caf coffee substitute & the two species are closely related. Bent over holding your stomach, now that I would believe. :lol:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went hiking today and brought back makings for an amazing winter salad! I found dandelion greens, miners lettuce, and rose hips. We made a vinegarette and put it on top! Oh boy! Yum!
DW & I used to harvest wild greens in late Spring, well before anything (other than scallions) was ready in the garden. I'm curious how you used the rose hips, @Dahlia , they seem too tough to use in a salad. All I've ever done with them is add them to tea.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

A long but good read if anyone’s interested. Down away’s you’ll find “and if your addicted to the caffeine in coffee, you may find dandelion tea a good substitute”. I’m not addicted to coffee, we just wanted to try it as we do a lot of other stuff that grows in the yard. This would be a good time of year to prove or disprove my stimulant comments if your climate would allow you to harvest some. Just like trees, all the “good stuff is down in the roots right now”. 😳

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bent over holding your stomach, now that I would believe.
Now, now -- tastes are subjective.

;) I have both grown a chicory and harvested dandelion roots for tea. I was inspired by a blend that I could buy at the store and by @hoodat from his personal experience. (We should have a report from @Ridgerunner on New Orleans chicory coffee :).)

The first batch of dandelion tea I thought was an acceptable addition to fresh ground coffee. Second batch, nope. Maybe the subject changed ...

Steve

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Dahlia im sorry my comment about the dandelion caused such disruption on your thread!

getting back on script, around here the rose hips are preferred after a frost or two, which makes them soft and a lot sweeter. Pre-frost they’re pretty chewey. As i walk down to the rabbit barn each day to do chores, i pass several bushes and even late in the winter the hips that still hang on taste great.
Im always happy to see someone living outside the bounds of normalcy with they’re eating habits! There’s so much out there you can eat besides the peas and carrots you grow in the garden. I’m was really surprised to learn how to use the many things we either walk by or mow over simply because we didn’t know.

i wonder if a wild crafting forum section would get any traction around here? It’s still gardening; in fact wild crafting comes closer to our namesake than anything else. ‘The Easy Garden”?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now, now -- tastes are subjective.

;) I have both grown a chicory and harvested dandelion roots for tea. I was inspired by a blend that I could buy at the store and by @hoodat from his personal experience.

Dandy Blend? i've had that and it is quite ok with me. didn't notice it being stimulating nearly the same as coffee does to me. hmm...

Latest posts