Woo Hoo, it's done!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very nice. You can save a lot of money by making your own ties. It's ridiculous the price my husband pays for some of his!

Mary

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Very nice. You can save a lot of money by making your own ties. It's ridiculous the price my husband pays for some of his!

Mary
I know some prices are ridiculous, and so many of the lesser expensive "big box store" ties are so boring. This way he gets one of a kind cool ties for under $10 and usually under $5 depending on the price of the fabric I fall in love with. Sometimes way under if I find a good sale, you only need 1/4 to 1/2 ish yard. Plus the "guts" portion

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful work on those ties. I would never have thought about making a tie. Of course, my DH doesn't usually have to wear ties, so it doesn't enter my mind.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like them both. How long does it take you to make one?

Mary
One can be made in about an hour, if you are a slow hand sewer, maybe 2. You machine sew the points, and the seam connecting both lengths (fat end and skinny end) Then there is pressing both sides to the center, turning one. (you have an insert the center, for body) then hand sew the long seam w/ a blind stitch.

Most patterns will say you have to make it on bias, I have done it both on bias and on straight, it works both ways.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Before all heck broke loose at work I was able to finish crocheting the final square for my new quilt. Here are the recent pics of what I've done so far.

Quilted star side hasn't changed much from the first pics

Crocheted flower / moms side has changed quite a bit.

Out of focus but you can see the 3 moms squares, the burgundy ca awareness ribbon for MIL and multiple myloma, red butterfly for mom and stroke/heart disease, and purple broken heart for gma and alzhiemers.
It's name is "Moms garden under the stars"

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am participating in a quilt swap, the theme is the underground railroad blocks. I was fascinated by the one called "Carpenter's Wheel" in reference to Christ as the "carpenter" who would guide the fleeing slaves in their journey. It is one of the hardest (most complicated) block in the set. So I drafted a foundation pattern for it and just completed one tonight. If I do this one I'll have to repeat this x 12 by Dec.
DSC_0393.JPG

Latest posts