Worried About Chicks

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
So sorry. Make sure you take a photo of them, in case the hatchery gets picky about it.
Do you think maybe you should wait till spring to get more? We have a lot of bad weather and delivery delays ahead of us.
I was thinking same they are rare so not sure they will have them in spring going to talk to featherlover farms today

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I looked at their website, hopefully you can work something out with them. They do have a live arrival guarantee.

Those chicks will fly so if they happen to ship at the time where flights get cancelled in a location that plane lands you can run into trouble. I suspect that is what happened to you more than those fires. Nobody can predict ahead of time when something like severe weather will close an airport or delay a flight. Or a specific plane has mechanical problems which delays or cancels a flight. It can happen in summertime too with thunderstorms. It doesn't have to be region wide, just an isolated thunderstorm can mess things up. Most of the time the chicks arrive fine, but yes, the risks of flight problems are higher in winter.

I noticed they sometimes add packing peanuts. You might want to chat with them about that. Creme Legbar chicks are auto-sexing. That means they can tell at hatch by the down color which are male and which are female. Since most people want females they wind up with excess boys. They sometimes put extra Creme Legbar males in other shipments to help keep the chicks warm, especially on small shipments. They add chemical heat pads to keep the chicks warm also but the packing peanuts are extra insurance. If you do not want any Creme Legbar cockerels you might want to talk to them about it when you call.

They ship through the post office. The normal routine is that they put your phone number on the outside of the box and the post office calls you when they arrive to come pick them up. New York City is a major airline hub so they should arrive in the city pretty quickly, much better than I had in Arkansas and my regional airport with no direct flights. I don't know what the distribution system is when they hit the ground though, how long it will take for them to get to your local post office. My post office received chicks all the time, they had the routine down. They'd call before they officially opened and I'd go around to the back and ring a bell. You might want to chat with your local post office and see what their routine is. If it is outside of opening hours how do you pick them up.

I've been following the story and feeling awful for you. You don't deserve that kind of rotten luck.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe on your next shipment you can figure out what post office they will land at and go get them. Talk to the post office ahead of time, walk in there and look eye to eye to several of the workers, give them your phone number and name. Have featherlovers ship to THAT post office, if possible. Any idea what post office they would go to in NYC?

So sorry that your babies arrived dead. It is not your fault. Sometimes sh!t happens.

Give Chickie a hug, he arrived for you to love, instead of the chicks.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
So sorry!! :hugs
Is there ANYBODY who is local (within say...50 miles) who could sell to you? I discovered a local farm and bought birds from them last December. I WILL buy from them again and they are 40 minutes drive from home.
Just a thought.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
So sorry!! :hugs
Is there ANYBODY who is local (within say...50 miles) who could sell to you? I discovered a local farm and bought birds from them last December. I WILL buy from them again and they are 40 minutes drive from home.
Just a thought.
I did go to someone local did not like his birds

Latest posts