Yellowing leaves on tomato seedlings

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Todd! My plants are started in horticubes and then straight into soil when the roots poke through, never used Jiffy pellets. The seedlings are fed with dilute nutrient solution starting right after they sprout. I am still about two weeks from being able to get them in the ground and my annuals are starting to flower already.
jackb

todays plants.jpg
. I do feed them a mild

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've only tried Gala Diplomat in a large container but it didn't do well. The plant grew and flowered but then it started dying. No one that I know grows melons here. There must be a reason for that.

Mary

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've only tried Gala Diplomat in a large container but it didn't do well. The plant grew and flowered but then it started dying. No one that I know grows melons here. There must be a reason for that.
Evan with growing in a tub you might try plastic to raise the temperature and poly spun row cover during the day to help hold in the heat for the night

Mary

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sounds like they are sitting in water. Can you put them on top of a mesh and then water from below?
They are definitely not sitting in water. They are doing better since I put potting soil around them. Thanks

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If lower leaves are yellow and new growth is green, it's a nitrogen defiency.

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If lower leaves are yellow and new growth is green, it's a nitrogen defiency.
I thought that to so I mixed up a little fertilizer to feed them the next time I water them. Since I keep aquarium plants I have the ability to customize my fertilizer mixes

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once they go yellow (lower leaves) they will not come back as plant is now making new leaves.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting that you mention Russian melon varieties. We have a member here from Moscow. @Larisa do you grow melons at your country house?

We moved to 8 acres last year and for the first time in many years I have ROOM! I ordered from rareseeds.com too (my favorite seed company) and I ordered melon seeds.

Latest posts